Windshield Ratchet assembly Broken!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Big Tee
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Windshield Ratchet assembly Broken!

Post by Big Tee »

I have a brand new to me my first Goldwing. It's an 2003 and I took off my windshield and put on another one. When I finally figured out how to take it off a piece came off and I don't know exactly where it goes. I've read the 2003 was bad about that and they redesigned it and made it better. I have also read it's very hard to fix. I can't raise it up so it's at its lowest setting. That was 2 months ago. Now I just ordered another shield and want to fix it when I take the old one off.

Do they make a ratchet assembly that I can just swap out? I heard some say it was so hard to replace those tiny parts it was a nightmare.....and I'm like a bull in a china shop! Lol

Any advice will be appreciated! Here's the part
Attachments

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Windshield Ratchet assembly Broken!

Post by cihilb »

From another forum. Hows the placement of that part.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... l1800.html
Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F »

Mine's been broken for years now, and I don't really need it, or miss it for that matter. Something came apart on mine and fell into the "abyss" long ago and I couldn't find it, so that was that. I set it where I like it, and leave it there, never had a problem either. But if you want it back to original operating condition, then good luck getting it repaired.
"To ride is the reason, the destination's the excuse."
Big Tee

Post by Big Tee »

cihilb wrote:From another forum. Hows the placement of that part.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... l1800.html
Thank you!!
Big Tee

Post by Big Tee »

Steve F wrote:Mine's been broken for years now, and I don't really need it, or miss it for that matter. Something came apart on mine and fell into the "abyss" long ago and I couldn't find it, so that was that. I set it where I like it, and leave it there, never had a problem either. But if you want it back to original operating condition, then good luck getting it repaired.
Steve the thing is, I never got chance to try it so i would like to find out! lol. My new shield is a Klock 14-18" and I like the thought of raising it when I want. I won't Get it repaired but I will repair it with the help of some of the good people here like cihilb! ;)