Windshield guess

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Nando
Motorcycle: GL1800

Windshield guess

Post by Nando »

I am guessing the shields that prompt the least turbulence and allow you to look over the top are the Taka or the KlockWerks because of the flare on top.

What says you?

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Windshield guess

Post by tfdeputydawg »

F4+4, tinted/vented. 'nough said!

Nando

Post by Nando »

I probably agree with you here deputy, but you have to look 'through' with the F4; I am searching for one to 'look over' the top of the shield.

gregoryda
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800A " The Great White"

Post by gregoryda »

Hearing good things about these http://www.madstad.com, but pricey.
2004 GL1800A "The Great White"

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

The F4 comes in different heights! I suggest you contact F4 and see what is available.

I look over the top of mine, and it was installed and has remained at the same height. I do recommend the vent.

Just a comment about their customer service, I had had the original for about two years when it developed a crack from the vent area. I called F4 to see what we could do and two things happened. First since I was leaving in a couple days for a tour, they suggested drilling a hole at the end of the crack and then to enjoy my trip and contact them when I got home. It worked and no further crack over the next 3,000 miles. Upon my return home, they then sent me a new replacement shield and the necessary info to send my cracked shield back to them at no expense.

That was probably a 100,000 miles ago!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

I recommend the vented F4 too, but have them ship it with vent installed. I installed them myself twice and they cracked. They replaced it both times. Then I had them send me one with the vent installed....no more issues.

Nando

Post by Nando »

two impressions I like to run by you guys:

I speculate the Madstad and the Windbender do work great for eliminating buffeting, but the air that comes from under the shield would be a detriment in cold mornings. I had shields with holes (where the stock comes with vents) and that did dampened the air pressure caused by the flow coming over the shield (as I suspect the Madstad works), but the it would be uncomfortable in cold days.

The F-4 seems to be a favorite shield among windingers. The post above is the first time I ever heard of someone looking over the top of one. Most users seem to praise the ability to look through, and clearly.

I wanna be able to look over the top of the shield and NOT get any buffeting and noise.

NOTE: I am trying to protect what little is left of my hearing and reduce fatigue cause I am on the road for months at a time when I tour.

I am 5' 9" with boots on, maybe I should get the F+2 and look through it as the best option.

Justin K.
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1987 HD Low Rider
1980 KZ750

Post by Justin K. »

If you want to look over it, Longrider Recurve works for me. At 5'9'' the -2" will probably work for you.
https://www.longrideshields.com/

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPN, April 24, 2017

Post by nitefuzz »

I just purchased a 2009 Goldwing, it has the stock windshield but I am going to put a larger one on that helps stop the wind from pounding my wife's helmet. I have a larger windshield on my "98" 1500 and have gotten use to looking through it. I think this is best for us because I have found that if the wife is more comfortable we can ride longer. We'll see what we can find for the 1800.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Assend 195x60x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron »

Anybody ever tried the v-stream?