Help with Navi

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 HPNA (Grey Ghost)
1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Help with Navi

Post by MiWinger51 »

OK, can someone tell me how bad I screwed up? I wanted to see what card I had in my 2006 gl1800, so not being much for directions i ejected it, looked at it and put it back in. Now when I start up it keeps flashing navi on the screen but nothing else. According to the book, I should have turned on the bike before putting the card back in. Then it was suppose to be left on until it reloaded. I'm not real worried about the card as I want to upgrade to 2014 maps thru Garmin. I'm more worried that I damaged the system itself. Any tips would be appreciated.

Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al
JHUBBLE
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 L4 / 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture/ 1997 Kawasaki 800 Vulcan Classic

Re: Help with Navi

Post by JHUBBLE »

I would take it back out, turn the switch on and re-insert it. Make sure that you have it inserted correctly and that it pushes the "eject" button out as well. I have removed and reinserted mine several times without any issues. Hope this helps.
MiWinger51

Post by MiWinger51 »

JHUBBLE wrote:I would take it back out, turn the switch on and re-insert it. Make sure that you have it inserted correctly and that it pushes the "eject" button out as well. I have removed and reinserted mine several times without any issues. Hope this helps.
I tried that last night, but will attempt it again this evening. How long should it take to load?
Al
baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Post by baumedagn »

I too have had my card out a number of times with no issues. Although, I've never removed it with the system on. Also, if you check this site, there is an update available from one of the members. I'm currently using 2018 maps on my 2012.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

More likely, you bent pins on the unit, in which case you have pretty much done it in. Many moons ago, there was a member who wrote up how to repair this, but it was quite involved and needed parts (specifically the pinned connector). That will be in the archives, but I know not where. It should not have made a difference if the bike was on or off. It only needs to be on to load or reload the operating software, which should already be in your Navi unit, so putting it in while off and then turning it on would still load the maps. You might remove the unit from the bike so that you can see inside the slot and discover if any pins are bent. If you can get to the pins (if bent) and very carefully straighten them, you may get away with it. They are very delicate tho, so breaking them off is possible.

Sorry to have to be the harbinger of doom.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

MiWinger51

Post by MiWinger51 »

themainviking wrote:More likely, you bent pins on the unit, in which case you have pretty much done it in. Many moons ago, there was a member who wrote up how to repair this, but it was quite involved and needed parts (specifically the pinned connector). That will be in the archives, but I know not where. It should not have made a difference if the bike was on or off. It only needs to be on to load or reload the operating software, which should already be in your Navi unit, so putting it in while off and then turning it on would still load the maps. You might remove the unit from the bike so that you can see inside the slot and discover if any pins are bent. If you can get to the pins (if bent) and very carefully straighten them, you may get away with it. They are very delicate tho, so breaking them off is possible.

Sorry to have to be the harbinger of doom.
Thanks, that is probably the case, Cheap way out is to buy a Garmin 395 LM. $400 with lifetime updates. Can't beat that with a stick.

Al