electrical/electronics failure

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
larrythecabinetguy
Motorcycle: 1956 Simplex Servi-cycle, Stolen
1965 Yamaha 60, Sold
1965 Honda Dream 305, Sold
1976 R6/75 BMW, Sold
1999 1100 Shadow, Sold
2006 Kawasaki Nomad, Sold
2002 GL1800, Sold.
1996 GL1500SE, Sold.
2005 Gl1800 ABS
2001 Escapade Trailer

electrical/electronics failure

Post by larrythecabinetguy »

I just returned from a short ride to town on my 2002 gl1800 and noticed my turn signals not working when I turned on my street. Once home, I noted that none of the dash buttons for radio,cb, etc were responding and were not back-lit.. The emergency flasher, all communications buttons were dead. An after market voltmeter was not displaying. The rear shock adjustment came up on the screen at the set number but after a couple seconds it went to an 'adjustment error'. The gauge cluster is lit and working. The bike is running fine and headlights along with beam adjustment and tail/brake lights are fine. I checked the relays under the seat and they check out. Fuses appear good. My guess is an inline relay or fuse that powers the dash is out but I have only had the bike for a few weeks and am not that familiar with the wiring. I have put over 3000 mi on her with no px. She only has 33,700mi and is in excellent condition. I did remove an after market harness about 3 weeks ago the previous owner had put in for his gps, phone etc. it had outdated jacks so I took it all out and as near as I could tell everything was back to original. I have had no issues since taking it out. I looked under the left glove box and all wires appear intact. I did install a plug and play Honda power outlet in that box and it has functioned as expected. There were no accessories, radio, cb or anything else on during the ride. Any help appreciated.

larrythecabinetguy
1965 Yamaha 60, Sold
1976 R6/75 BMW, Sold
1999 1100 Shadow, Sold
2002 GL1800, Sold.
1996 GL1500SE, Sold.
2005 Gl1800 ABS
2001 Escapade Trailer

Re: electrical/electronics failure

Ok. Did some more inspection and found that the bottom fuse block (60a) in the fuse box has no power on either side. The fuse is good. the fuse is a 70a when a 60 is called for so thismay not be the first time this has happened to the bike. I have no way of knowing. I have not traced back further yet in hopes someone would have a suggestion or solution before I start opening the bike up for inspection. I noted that the acc side of the ignition switch has no power, even the screen is dead on acc. The bike is cranking, running, and lights are on as usual, including brake lights. It appears the loss of power is very early in the circuit, even before the fuse box? Have a 6-7 day trip coming up in two weeks. Getting edgy.

97Aspy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Glacier white

Post by 97Aspy »

Don't own an 1800 but got my curiosity up when you stated someone had switched the 60AMP fuse for a 70AMP fuse on your bike so did a little research. There should be a 70AMP fuse directly below the main 100AMP fuse. This fuse is called a speed limiter fuse it is wired into the reverse system and protects the reverse relay and reverse control module and starter. Has nothing to do with forward speed.
From what I see one side of the fuse has a yellow wire that goes directly to the negative post of the battery, outbound side of the fuse yellow wire to speed limiter relay. So just check 70AMP fuse with ohm meter to see if it is good. Don't attempt to put power to this fuse. If you have an owners manual read through it there is mention of this 70AMP fuse in there.
First thing to check on original problems would be the connections in the area you were working check the connections to make sure they are clean and making a good contact at the connectors. Now on to the fuses check them with an OHM meter for continuity sometime a fuse may look good and is not. On the 01-05 bikes, fuse 22 is the constant 12 volts to the radio. Fuse 21 is the ignition voltage to the radio.
Trace aftermarket volt meter wiring to see how it is wired in.
Does the Horn work? Horn and turn signals are on the same fuse. Fuse #27. The Hazard switch has been known to be faulty since it is not used often and the contacts usually need cleaning.
Seems like a lot of stuff to go out at one time. Maybe a common grounding point.
Sending a PM. That is all I have. Maybe someone with more knowledge on 1800s will give you their input. Good Luck
Rick

larrythecabinetguy
1965 Yamaha 60, Sold
1976 R6/75 BMW, Sold
1999 1100 Shadow, Sold
2002 GL1800, Sold.
1996 GL1500SE, Sold.
2005 Gl1800 ABS
2001 Escapade Trailer

Thanks for the info 97Aspy. All fuses are good. I removed the battery to inspect the harness at that point and unbolted the fusebox. I moved things around a little during inspection but came up with nothing of note. The battery was disconnected for about 20 mins. I replaced everything, let the bike sit for a few minutes, cranked the bike and everything came back on! I had total function. I very anxiously hit the turn signal and everything mentioned above(basically everything run by accessory circuits) died. I repeated the process of disconnect but did not remove the battery or move the harness around any. Again, it powered up. I did note that the voltage was only reading 6-8 volts and the readings were skipping all over the place. Usually reads a fairly steady 14.3v after startup. I then moved the handlebars back and forth several times and I lost power as before. I did not mention that I had installed short risers about 2-3 weeks ago, so now i wonder if i pulled something loose or too tight in the turn circuit.
I noted that all of the fuse plugs on the left side of the box except for the very top one had no power. I checked each one individually with a meter. Fuses still good. Disconnected both poles of the battery again, without removal, waited a few minutes and reconnected. I got a momentary flash of the voltmeter when i turned the ignition on and then it, along with the previous functions listed, died.

I did engage the reverse and it is working as advertised.

The turn signal switch had always been 'mushy' since i got the bike. The cb talk button was also sticky. I have sprayed some contact cleaner into the talk switch and after drying out, a little wd40. It is now working well. This was about 2 weeks ago. I have attempted to clean the turn switch the same way and it feels much better and the positions are now very discernible to touch. I did this without removing the covers. The talk switch was done before this px appeared and the turn switch only yesterday.
The only thing left of aftermarket that is powered up is the voltmeter. It is run by a circuit originating at the screw terminals on the fuse box and protected by an inline fuse. This line kills when the others go out as well.

The horn works without fail, and as you mentioned, it is on the same fuse.

larrythecabinetguy
1965 Yamaha 60, Sold
1976 R6/75 BMW, Sold
1999 1100 Shadow, Sold
2002 GL1800, Sold.
1996 GL1500SE, Sold.
2005 Gl1800 ABS
2001 Escapade Trailer

Another detail; When the turn switch is activated the corresponding front running light goes out. It will come back on when the 'halfway' or lane change is toggled. The tail turns never come on, as they are inactive until turn is activated.

97Aspy

Post by 97Aspy »

When you had the battery disconnected were the terminals and wiring clean and free of corrosion? Make sure the terminals are tight not Gorilla tight but tight.
Looks like the position light opposite the operating turn signal is designed to go out according to the manual.
Here is an excerpt from page 639 (20-6)

Opposite position light does not go off when the turn signal switch is operated
• Faulty turn signal switch (page 20-27)
• Faulty position light relay and its circuits (page 20-31)
• Faulty diode (D20) (page 20-33)

Check the Accessory relay for proper operation also there is a Position relay up front as well as a Turn relay in the combination meter Looks like they are a PITA to get to. Still think it is one of the connectors up front. Connector 22P Gr is one to check out.
If you get a chance to look over the Manual I sent you wiring diagrams are in there.
Well I think I've learned more than I need to know about 1800s for now and don't have anymore input.
Good luck hope you get your electrical issues sorted out before your trip.
Rick

97Aspy

Post by 97Aspy »

One other thing to check is the battery don't know if you did that already. This is usually first thing to check to make sure you have a good battery. You did mention that the volt meter was 6 to 8 volts and all over the place. Bike won't start with voltage that low and you did say you had it running. You can take it and have it load tested and eliminate that possibility. Sometime electrical stuff can be tuff to trace down. Just take it one step at a time and you'll get it. Good luck.
Rick

larrythecabinetguy
1965 Yamaha 60, Sold
1976 R6/75 BMW, Sold
1999 1100 Shadow, Sold
2002 GL1800, Sold.
1996 GL1500SE, Sold.
2005 Gl1800 ABS
2001 Escapade Trailer

hey Rick
Thanks for all the info again. Battery is good. Did go and get service manual and owners manual from the sites u suggested. I think the low voltage and the flickering of the voltmeter may be cuz of a loose connection or a bad ground. While looking at the service manual i saw, as u mentioned, that the acc power goes into a plug which leads to all the things that are out. I did replace the windshield about two weeks ago and am wondering if i loosened that plug or pinched a wire during the install. I keep thinking of ways i could have done something to cause the px since before i started my 'improvements' i had no issues at all with the bike. So i am going to pull the cowl and check the circuits per the manual and try to be as methodical as possible, writing down what i do and check, and if i dont find it at least my mechanic will have a history. Thanks loads for all ur help.