Wont stay in reverse

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
par4ugolf

Wont stay in reverse

Post by par4ugolf »

My 2012 GW works fine in reverse if I am on a flat area, but when I try a upgrade it jumps out of reverse and needs to be reset in reverse. Any ideas of what is causing the problem and the fixes I might try or is this one of thoise expensive repairs?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wont stay in reverse

Post by WingAdmin »

par4ugolf wrote:My 2012 GW works fine in reverse if I am on a flat area, but when I try a upgrade it jumps out of reverse and needs to be reset in reverse. Any ideas of what is causing the problem and the fixes I might try or is this one of thoise expensive repairs?
It's possible that it is operating correctly. How much weight is on the bike, and how much of an upgrade are you trying to reverse up? The bike constantly monitors the amount of current going to the starter motor in order to determine the load being placed on it, and if the current goes too high (indicating you're exceeding the design load) it disconnects and shuts down the reverse, to prevent burning out the motor or damaging any other part of the reverse mechanism.

par4ugolf

Re: Wont stay in reverse

Post by par4ugolf »

Load is just myself at about 220 and the grade is not steep at all, but of course not flat. It kicks out very quickly. I never had a problem with my 1500 so I'm just wondering if they made some sort of serious change.