Designated Back-up wire

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
IBArider
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Designated Back-up wire

Post by IBArider »

First let me Thank GoldwingDocs for a wonderful site and it's member to be able to get information about our Goldwings from those you ride them. :) I need to know where I can tap into a Designated Reverse wire on a 2005 Goldwing 1800? I want to make my Spoiler light flash when I back up. Hopefully there will be a place under the seat. It does need to be a designated wire as I don't want it to affect anything else. Thanks for any information that you may have.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Designated Back-up wire

Post by Viking »

I am not an electronics wizard, so I might be out to lunch on this, HOWEVER, I do not think you can do this. The reverse on our bikes does not have back up lights like a car does, so I would not think there was any place to tap in. If you were to tap into the actual reverse circuit, you would probably affect the reverse action, and that would perhaps leave you without a reverse any longer.

Only thing might be to tap into the wire going to the "R" dash light, come to think of it.
Last edited by Viking on Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

You may be able to tap into the wire for the reverse light and use a relay to power the spoiler light. You would need a relay that can kill the power to the spoiler light while in reverse. I don't know what voltage the "R" light uses. Someone with a wiring diagram may be able to help.
IBArider
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Post by IBArider »

Thanks themainviking but I just want the reverse wire location before it goes through the complete circuit. Such as the reverse button on the handlebar that supplies voltage to the rest of the maze Honda has to reverse the m/c. I was hoping I could have that wire location to tap into under the seat
which would be easier to get to but I do not have a diagram to know the circuit. Don't need back up lights as the spoiler light is what I want to hook up.
I also could use a volt meter to search but that takes time and was hoping to get information the easy and quick way. I may be wrong as again I do not have the reverse circuit diagram and I know the reverse system affects multiple things but I think it will work if I can find the hot wire to the reverse switch.
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

Here is the wiring for the combination meter. You can see the path for the reverse light.
IBArider
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Post by IBArider »

Thanks cihilb, now I just got to find that wire if it is under the seat.
jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
2177 gl1800

Post by jinx »

Look at this mod it is for the navi but it should tell you what you want to know.

viewtopic.php?t=4837
IBArider
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Post by IBArider »

Thanks jinx!! Yes this is what I need, the reverse button wire color and location at an easy area to tap into. Thanks again. The module I have makes my Spoiler Light blink 5 times and than stays on when I brake and it also has a wire to hook up to the reverse so it will blink when you are in the reverse mode. I think that will be cool. :)
IBArider
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Post by IBArider »

Just wanted to let you all know that I got the reverse switch wire tap into for the spoiler light. Works great!! I have my spoiler light not working on running lights but when I apply my brakes it flashes 5 times and than stays on until the brakes are released. Now also when I put the Goldwing 1800
in reverse mode the spoiler light flashes until I am out of reverse mode. Took a video but did not know how to up load for you. Thanks to all for your
help. :)