Wiring in for accessories.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
jim1fun1
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Wiring in for accessories.

Post by jim1fun1 »

I was wiring up my 08 1800 for a heated seat but blew the 5 amp fuse on the accy. curcuit. Now I know why they, the seat wiring company, sent a relay. To protect your bike from accidental discharge and because the accy. circuit is so lightly fused you need to use a relay. This way when ever you turn off the bike your accy's. aren't left on and turn off too. The wiring for most automotive relays is pretty simple. They usually include a simple circuit diagram on the head of the relay and they list numbers for the connectors on the bottom. It's tiny but you can see it.
Here is a brief description. The relay has two circuits and is basically an electrically operated switch.. One is the control circuit that turns the relay on and off. The other is the supply circuit that powers up what you want to use.
On the switch side you will have an incoming hot + wire. In the above situation it is turned on and off with the ignition switch but you could wire up a simple separate on/off switch. The other side of the switch circuit goes to ground -. This will now turn the relay on and off.
On the supply side you have a positive + wire coming in and the other wire goes to the accy. you want to turn on and off. Remember to fuse all circuits as close to the power source as you can to prevent a fire in case of a short and use insulated connectors on your relay since they are exposed and close together.
Now you will have a power source that won't drain the battery when you turn off the bike but can handle heavier loads.

topgun
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Re: Wiring in for accessories.

Post by topgun »

The thing here is that in your case, (with seat heat) and mine (as I added a relay operated charge port in trunk), is that I'd rather not have the accessory ON (active) in the key's accessory position (battery discharge) VS ignition ON and engine running. there doesn't seem to be a safe circuit to steal ignition power from to remedy this, at least not from fuse block. they are either hot key off, or what I would consider ride critical functions that I don't want to risk fuse issues with on rides.

jim1fun1
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Re: Wiring in for accessories.

Post by jim1fun1 »

The objective of my post was to help guys wire up a circuit using a relay if they needed to draw more than five amps but don't want to worry about remembering to switch something off once they shut the bike down. Any number of reasons and applications might make other options more feasible.