Birmingham, Alabama members

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Marine
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing GL-1800

Birmingham, Alabama members

Post by Marine »

This will be the first time I will need to take my 2005 GL-1800 into a shop for work. (Mis-fire and a (tapping like) noise at idle.

Anyone know a GOOD repair shop in the Birmingham area that will not rip me off or charge an arm and a leg, just because it is a Goldwing?

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Birmingham, Alabama members

Post by Viking »

Depending on what the problem is, with a GL1800, it could be an arm AND a leg. If it is just replacing spark plugs, that is about the simplest job you could do at home. However, I assume no mechanical ability or no wish to be mechanical here. If the missing is caused by an extremely dirty Air Filter, you can expect your repair bill to top out between $600 and $1000. The problem with most GL1800s is that this item is ignored by most who do not do their own work until it is hardly able to pass any air at all. The Removal and Replacement requires a whole lot of Tupperware to be removed. Almost anyone who works on Goldwings will be an acceptable place to take it, as they will have done it before and will be able to do the job without breaking any plastic pieces.

That said, if it is just spark plugs, and you could discover this for yourself, as that is about the easiest job on a GL1800, then it would be reasonably inexpensive.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Marine
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing GL-1800

Re: Birmingham, Alabama members

Post by Marine »

Could be the air filter, 20,000 miles on it, but, would that cause 5he taping like noise at idle?