No neutral light & no start; all good fuses

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Mesa Antero
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

No neutral light & no start; all good fuses

Post by Mesa Antero »

A while back my '03 somehow sparked when I accidentally turned the ignition key to the "On" position while a battery tender junior was attached. Now there is no green/neutral or any light when in the "On" position, and the starter motor does not engage. When the key is turned to "On" you can hear some minor clicking that quickly slows/stops (fuel?). When the key is moved to "Accessory" the GL1800 'opening ceremony' stuff displays though and the radio worked. The battery shows fully charged with a traditional (larger charger) and all fuses have been tested and all are good.

The bike has always run great and I'm sure this should be some minor electrical issue I haven't found. What might have created the spark that did not take out a fuse? I don't have a way to trailer this thing at present so any thoughts would be most welcomed on this mystery. Thanks! Mark

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: No neutral light & no start; all good fuses

Post by Big Blue UK »

Battery tenders are normally ok with having the IGN turned on, I have done it for ages.
By sparked, do you mean you heard a sparking sound as if you connect a wire to + and tap it on the -.
To start with take the seat off and check or replace the IGN relay, bottom row on the left (15).

I know this is a fine line, but if it is the relay (16a) the IGN fuse is 20a, I did say it was a fine line. If you are certain the IGN fuse is ok and has been replaced, hopefully the relay has thrown its toys out the pram. Quick n easy. If not.

Do you have wiring schematics.
Do you have/can you use a multimeter, if so easy to diagnose.

Is there anything wrong with posting workshop manual wiring diagram images.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

He's right in that a Battery Tender will not cause any problem when hooked up - you can leave it hooked up, start the bike, run the bike, whatever. It won't hurt the bike or the Battery Tender.
Mesa Antero
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by Mesa Antero »

Thank you both for your responses. And, typically I have never had an issue with the battery tender with the switch turned in the on position before so I'm not sure if something else touched or what exactly happened.

I will try the suggestions mentioned above when I'm in the right location but am in the midst of a move between homes. I will report back when I find out. MA