2005 GL1800 blowing fuses and won't start

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
jgraham798
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

2005 GL1800 blowing fuses and won't start

Post by jgraham798 »

I have a 2005 1800 and I haven't ridden it in a couple of months. I went out to start it and the battery was too low to start, so I hooked up my charger and charged it up on the slowest charging rate until it was completely charged.

I went to start it to move it after it charged completely. It turned over and started so I went to move it and it went dead.
Then when I turned the key, nothing would happen, no lights , no nothing. I waited a minute and tried it again and the
lights came on and it started, but then died right away and all power was out. I again waited a few minutes and it started and shut right back down again with all the power going off. I could not ever get it to power up at all after that.

I checked my fuses next to the battery and it appeared the 30A fuse marked MAIN A had blown. I went and bought a pack of fuses
and put a new one in. Now, as soon as I turn the key, it blows the fuse. I did this about 3 times after looking at all the wiring and not seeing anything grounding out. Last night I checked the ignition fuse that's by itself and connects to the battery. It had a 15 amp full size fuse in it and it was blown. I stopped on the way home today and bought a pack of those fuses, but I have not done anything else to the bike.

Should I put that 15 in and a another 30 and try it again, or is there something else I need to test before trying the new fuses?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I bought this bike new and this is the very first time I have had to do anything else the normal maintenance on it and battery changes.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Re: 2005 GL1800 blowing fuses and won't start

Post by Steve F »

Unfortunately, replacing fuses won't fix it, and the first thing that comes to mind is damaged wires from mice. It'll take some time to track the problem. Some insurances will cover this kind of damage.
"To ride is the reason, the destination's the excuse."
jgraham798
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Re: 2005 GL1800 blowing fuses and won't start

Post by jgraham798 »

Thanks for the reply!

I will start a through search tomorrow to see if I can spot any damaged wiring. I am in the process of taking the top shelter off to make it easier to track.