1800 start problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
lionellisafeld
Motorcycle: 2001 1800 ABS

1800 start problems

Post by lionellisafeld »

I need some advice.My dad has a 2001 1800. Today he told me it will turn over but not start. I am a 1500 owner so it's new ground for me. Where do I start I have reade about the f1 code but when the key is turned on it does a check and goes out is that normal or should it stay on . I do now that when you also turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump pressure up and it does nothing? What are some things I can check to trouble shoot it for him so I am maybe fix it for He's 84 and would like to get riding again Thanks Lionel

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Re: 1800 start problems

Post by Earl43P »

Needs to have a good, fully charged battery @>12.5 volts; sounds like it has sat for a while.

Prime the fuel system by turning key on for 2 seconds, then off.
Do that at least 3 times before ever cranking the starter.

Only crank the starter for short attempts, like 2 seconds max. Then re-prime, 2-3x.

You can jump-start these with a car, but DO NOT have the car engine running. You risk frying the voltage regulator with 14+ volts applied.

There is a sweet spot on the starter button where it turns off the headlamps, then pressing slightly more cranks the starter. I use that sweet spot when starting a bike that has sat a while (like my ST1300 does). Keeping the headlamps off drains less power from the battery for your coils to charge and more starter cranking attempts.
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

Have to ask the daft question, does it have fuel?, that's that done with.
Pull fuse 26, low beam will not come on with IGN while you diagnose.
How long has it been standing?
What is the static battery voltage?
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

There are a couple things that may assist your troubleshooting. First of course is check the battery voltage exceed 12 volts and doesn't drop below 10.5 when cranking, see that the battery connections are clean and secure. You mentioned the fuel pump cannot be heard! Does the bike crank the engine when attempting to start? If so I'd first ensure you have gas in the tank (doh!), I'll assume so. Next I'd then remove the seat and check the Fuel Pump Relay, it'll will be under a plastic labeled cover that will help identify it (4th from left on front row I believe), it should click when you turn the key from off to run and back, you can also swap the relay with a neighboring relay to test its function. That's a quick guess on where to start. There is a lot more to the fuel system as you might imagine and a flashing FI (fault indictor) light under the speedometer may reveal a helpful code. If flashing it will be a repeating series of long and short flashes that can be decoded for further direction in your repair. Also ensure the bike is in neutral the stand is down and the cut-off switch is in the run position. Some report being able to crank the engine with the cut-off switch in the off position to cycle new oil changes (not so on my 2002) but either spark or fuel is turned of in their description. Cut off switches are also known to be finicky/dirty so toggling the switches on your new to you 1800 is a must (preferably with some CRC electrical contact spray to degunk them- any auto parts store).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

PastoT wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm There are a couple things that may assist your troubleshooting. First of course is check the battery voltage exceed 12 volts and doesn't drop below 10.5 when cranking, see that the battery connections are clean and secure. You mentioned the fuel pump cannot be heard! Does the bike crank the engine when attempting to start? If so I'd first ensure you have gas in the tank (doh!), I'll assume so. Next I'd then remove the seat and check the Fuel Pump Relay, it'll will be under a plastic labeled cover that will help identify it (4th from left on front row I believe), it should click when you turn the key from off to run and back, you can also swap the relay with a neighboring relay to test its function. That's a quick guess on where to start. There is a lot more to the fuel system as you might imagine and a flashing FI (fault indictor) light under the speedometer may reveal a helpful code. If flashing it will be a repeating series of long and short flashes that can be decoded for further direction in your repair. Also ensure the bike is in neutral the stand is down and the cut-off switch is in the run position. Some report being able to crank the engine with the cut-off switch in the off position to cycle new oil changes (not so on my 2002) but either spark or fuel is turned of in their description. Cut off switches are also known to be finicky/dirty so toggling the switches on your new to you 1800 is a must (preferably with some CRC electrical contact spray to degunk them- any auto parts store).
Everything is OK except the kill switch part. The 1800 will not even crank if the kill switch is off. The battery condition is the first place to look. A weak battery will crank the engine but low voltage will not allow the ignition system to fire.
lionellisafeld
Motorcycle: 2001 1800 ABS

Post by lionellisafeld »

Thanks for all the help.my brief encounter with the bike before I left to go back home things I remember was the first time the key was turned on the dash did its check and the F1light went out.The thing I think may be the issue is his battery condition I know its poor and it sounds like it my be the problem. The only thing that puzzled me was that Dad said it started earlier on, but the battery may have had the voltage. And we all know how gremlins can pop up.Will take all your advice to heart Lionel
PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (128k)

Post by PastoT »

Surely agree, bike shouldn't crank with kill switch off; I'd just read on another forum someone used that approach to cycle engine oil after a change. doesn't work that way on my 02. I roll the throttle wide open and it will crank and not start, I hope its supposed to work that way! I still think the fuel pump would pressure up even with a week battery, but I've noticed mine does so silently once in a while. I called the dealer about the sound when I first bought mine (doh!). Surely a weak battery can crank with cold or no spark (I had to bump start mine once). I would advise the owner to replace the battery if charging the battery remedies this problem, its not something you need to contend with in the middle of nowhere.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"