2001 multiple issues all at once

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
kwoper900
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing 1800

2001 multiple issues all at once

Post by kwoper900 »

I have a 2001 1800, I have had this motorcycle for about 5 years now it ran great until just recently after getting washed. Now as of the wash all of these issues have started at the same time:

Constant issues since the wash:
No radio through the speakers (sent for repair, nothing was wrong with it)
Air suspension doesn't work
Brake lights with the had brake do not work

Intermittent issues since the wash:
Fuel gauge will just randomly go down past empty
High-beam comes on dimly and the indicator light comes on dimly
Bike runs rough like it is starving for fuel
*When the intermittent issues start, if given full throttle for 10-15 seconds the bike seems to clear up, this may happen 1-10 times in a ride of 30+/- miles

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the ECM?

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: 2001 multiple issues all at once

Post by 702scottc »

Start at the beginning. Check battery terminals for cleanliness and tight then check your ground connections. The battery ground is on the frame near the surge tank. Then test your alternator output. These are the 2 things that come to mind. If the ground is loose and has some corrosion it will cause some interesting issues.
kwoper900

Post by kwoper900 »

I tried the ground at the battery, I disconnected it and cleaned it, I will check the alternator output and try to find that ground on the frame tonight. At this point I will try anything. Thank you!!
kwoper900

Post by kwoper900 »

I looked at the ground again at the battery, clean, I checked the voltage at the battery and alternator the voltage reads about 14.35 volts. Still no luck. Anyother ideas?
m2102
Motorcycle: Gl1800 wing with Roadsmith trike kit.

Post by m2102 »

Mite sound strange but unhook your battery for about 20 minutes see if that helps. Some say to leave unhooked overnight. I tried that method energy cb was acting up. It worked.
kwoper900

Post by kwoper900 »

That idea doesn't sound strange at all actually. I did and tried somthing very simular, I unhooked the battery for 30 minutes, turned on the key while it was unhooked, then started it up without touching the throttle while it ran for 10 minutes and it didn't seem to help.
harveysmedlap
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by harveysmedlap »

It sounds like your problem may be the ground lug that has four or five ground wires attached to it, and it is bolted to the frame. Sadly if that is your problem the only way to get to it is by removing the gas tank. Fred Harmon has pictures of it. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gastank

Hope yours is an easier fix.
kwoper900

Post by kwoper900 »

Well we waited until the weekend to takle the job of going to the ground under the gas tank. When we got there there was just a little corrosion but we cleaned it up and added an additional ground like the link suggested.

As we put the bike back together we had previously found regarding the speakers, it said to make sure the wires from the speakers are aiming towards the center of the bike. We check the speakers sure enough one was facing down the other facing out. Once we changed the direction on both, we had our speakers back, not sure if it was the added ground or the movement of the speakers but they seem to work.

After we got the bike back together we took it for a ride, it was running great, we went approximately 30 mile or so hit a bump then she quit, started up for a few seconds but ran horribly until she wouldn't start back up and we towed it home.

Sunday we took it apart again, we think the relay at the hand brake is bad, but can that be causing all the issue, could it? Have to wait until Tuesday to go to the dealership to get a new relay. We also looked at the wiring to the taillights because they sill do not seem to be working correctly, we found the ground wire and temporarily regrounded it, and then the tail lights began to work. We did not take it for a test ride with that temporary ground but after we change that relay we will try again.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Anytime you suddenly have seemingly unrelated electrical issues all at once, you can bet your bottom dollar that you've got a bad ground issue. Dim lights that change when unrelated systems are activated, or lights that are normally off, but glow dimly unless other systems are actuated are a telltale sign of a bad ground.

On four cylinder Wings, it was a reasonably simple task to find and fix the bad ground. On the GL1800, it can be a bit of a nightmare. You've already had a crack at the common ground point that is a frequent culprit - but you've still obviously got a problem somewhere.

I will admit that in the past when confronted with this, after hours of fruitless hunting, I have given up, run new grounds to affected systems, and in doing so just bypassed wherever the mystery bad ground happened to be. Not the correct way to fix it, but it does get the bike running again.
kwoper900

Post by kwoper900 »

I always had a hunch it was a ground and this past weekend/yesterday we figured it must be the ground for the taillights. Not knowing where it's grounded for sure, may do just that, bypass it. As long as we can start to enjoy riding it again and trust we won't need to be towed back. Hopefully Tuesday we can test it again and everything will work seamlessly. We appreciate all the help! We'll repost back with hopefully positive results!
m2102
Motorcycle: Gl1800 wing with Roadsmith trike kit.

Post by m2102 »

Not quite the same but my reverse stopped working and it was in reverse when lost all power. Sat for 2 days in back yard then was suggested to run a underground from battery to frame. As soon as i made contact to the frame I heard the click for reverse and all lights came on. Don't know if it will for your problem but it costs nothing to try it. Good luck in finding your solution.
kwoper900

Post by kwoper900 »

I know it had been a while since I posted what we have done to remedy the issues. So here I go. We dropped the bike off at a mechanics house then went on vacation. When we got back he said we needed a new battery, he had an extra that was only a year old, then a few hrs later he called and said the alternator was not working correctly. When we dropped the bike off it was at 14 volts and when he changed the battery it was at 12. So we brought the bike home ordered a new alternator. We haven't had any trouble since. Changing the battery and alternator seemed to have fixed it all!. Thank you all for your advise! And hopefully if anyone else has this problem, this will help them also!