Starting problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
hdh
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 Goldwing

Starting problems

Post by hdh »

I have a 2006 Goldwing that will not start. I charged the Battery and it sounds as the starter is turning but it will not crank. I have 32000 miles on it and just rode it the other day and everything was fine.

Any ideas?

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Starting problems

Post by Mh434 »

Sounds like a sticking starter clutch to me. If the starter is spinning, the starter clutch isn't engaging as it should. From pictures on the 'net, I can't tell whether it's a ramp & roller system or a centrifugal weight system, although it's likely some iteration of the former. The rollers need some lubrication in order to freely spin into the "lock" position, and if they're dry they can remain disengaged, and the starter will just spin without engaging the engine.

Interestingly, this seems to be a common problem on GL1100's, but I haven't been able to find a single reference to this issue on a GL1800.

Hopefully, someone with more experience in GL1800's will chime in here with better information shortly!
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

The starter clutch on GL1800 bikes is a "sprague clutch". The only problems I know of were with the 2009 models, in cooler temperatures, using Amsoil 10W40 oil. These problems were eliminated by switching off to 10W30 oil. Such a seemingly simple thing to cause this problem. That said, I am sure that you are not having those cooler temperatures in Texas, are you? Have you perhaps changed your oil and put something fairly substantial in there, such as a 20W50 or a straight 40 0r 50 weight oil?

If the above seems to match your problem, you could try draining one quart of oil and replacing it with one quart of transmission fluid, just to see if it makes a difference. If it does, and the sprague clutch engages and the bike starts, then run it for a bit (couple hundred miles) to get the tranny fluid into all the nooks and crannies for it's detergent qualities, and then do an oil change using a more appropriate grade of oil.

If this does not seem to be the problem, then I am at a loss, because these are pretty dependable bikes. If it was not in neutral, the starter should not be turning at all, and if the run/stop was on stop, the same. Those are the two most common causes of no start, but the starter should not be turning if either of these was it.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

hdh
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 Goldwing

Post by hdh »

thanks for all the input on my problem. I contacted a friend who is an experienced Goldwing owner and has a shop. He had me turn on the key, while in neutral, put the kick stand up and pull on the clutch. After doing that the Goldwing started.

It could of been a faulty stand switch that reset once I put the stand back down, but it has started since then and no other problems.

hdh
thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg »

Sounds like the initial description was wrong, the starter motor was not turning, maybe you could hear the fuel pump and assumed it was the starter. I would suggest trying to clean the contacts of the side stand switch as that sounds like the likely culprit. I don't know if it can be taken apart or not, but worth a look and maybe spraying some contact cleaner over it..

Gary