Starter Button Weak Spring?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Organdonor1
Motorcycle: 2003 1800 GL

Starter Button Weak Spring?

Post by Organdonor1 »

Rode my 2003 GL 1800 to run errands this morning. Hopped on to go to the grocery store this evening and it would not start. Everything seemed normal. Kill switch in run position, side stand up, turned it to on, Goldwing commercial comes up , pulled in the clutch, hit the start button...... nothing. Lights come on everything was normal, but the neutral light was not on. I rolled it forward and back, made sure it was in neutral, still no neutral light. Checked the reverse switch was not engaged. Turned the key on, worked the kill switch back and forth each direction, no neutral light, used my fingertip and pulled lightly on the start switch to make sure it was all the way out.... and the neutral light came on..... pulled in the clutch, hit the start button and it fired right up.
Has anyone else had the starter button not pop all the way out on occasion? And would that REALLY be enough of an issue to prevent starting?
So far, my plan is to spray into the starter button the best I can with contact cleaner.
I had been placing my helmet and gloves on the right handlebar over the kill switch and assembly...... think I'll stop doing that... just in case it's messing with the switch.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Starter Button Weak Spring?

Post by cihilb »

Probably not the spring. The grease in the contacts gets sticky after a while. Spraying from the front may or may not help. Best way is to remove the cluster from the bars and try to get a cleaner into the switch. DON'T use anything like WD40. It may work for a while but it attracts dust. A good plastic safe contaact cleaner followed by shot of silicone spray will work.
I use a product called DeOxit D5. It cleans and then leaves a protective coating on the contacts.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F »

I've said it before, but WD-40 MAY be used in switches as it is an excellent solvent and crud remover......HOWEVER, follow the WD treatment with a quick couple of shots of a good contact cleaner to remove the WD residue. I've found that WD flushes out crud way faster than most contact cleaner sprays, but will leave a film that the contact cleaner will remove.
;)
"To ride is the reason, the destination's the excuse."

cihilb

Post by cihilb »

Steve F wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:36 pm
I've said it before, but WD-40 MAY be used in switches as it is an excellent solvent and crud remover......HOWEVER, follow the WD treatment with a quick couple of shots of a good contact cleaner to remove the WD residue. I've found that WD flushes out crud way faster than most contact cleaner sprays, but will leave a film that the contact cleaner will remove.
;)
Yes, but then you have nothing to further protect or lubricate the contacts.

Steve F
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F »

cihilb wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Steve F wrote:
;)
Yes, but most contact cleaners have a "dry" lube that won't attract dirt.

cihilb

Post by cihilb »

Steve F wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 pm
cihilb wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Steve F wrote:
;)
Yes, but most contact cleaners have a "dry" lube that won't attract dirt.
I have been an electronics tech for over 40 years. Only a few that I have run across has any type of lube. Most are just cleaners and state that on the can.. One of the Radio Shack ones did have lube,CRC also makes one., but that was stated on the label. What ones are you talking about?
The DeOxit D5 is a cleaner and protectant. The Deoxit shield S5 is only a protectant and lube.

Steve F
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Post by Steve F »

One of the Radio Shack ones did have lube,CRC also makes one
Those....maybe not "most" like I said.

cihilb

Post by cihilb »

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, but too many recommend a just a cleaner. A cleaner and lube is hard to find. We used to use the DeOxit where I previously worked on medical equipment.
Sometimes the batteries were left in way too long or water and other fluids would get into connectors. This stuff cleaned up all the contacts.