Cruise control

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
rexliggett
Motorcycle: 2005 honda goldwing gl1800 silver

Cruise control

Post by rexliggett »

On my 2005 wing, when I push the button to turn on the cruise control the button pops back out, it won't stay in the in position. is this a easy fix? Lol

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Cruise control

Post by Viking »

Not an easy fix, but maybe a simple one. Get some contact spray that is alright for plastics. I believe WingAdmin likes CTC. While spraying cleaner into the button edge, work it in and out in and out. If lucky, it will lock in one of the times you are working it. Then work it some more, spraying occasionally. Once it starts locking in and out every press, Bob's your uncle..

If that does not work, you can always take it apart - BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE TINY SPRINGS WITHIN - and if that does not work, the entire module is available as a unit.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: Cruise control

Post by thrasherg »

As stated, your best bet is to try spraying contact cleaner over the switch (open up the housing that contains the switch (2 screws) and then apply large amounts of contact cleaner to the switch whilst trying to turn the cruise switch on & off. if it starts to work then spray a bit more and operate the switch 20 times or so and hopefully you are good. If contact cleaner does not work then you can open up the switch but there are several small parts inside that tend to explode and get lost so be really careful!! If the contact cleaner does not work, I would be looking to purchase a second hand switch unit from a breaker and then change out the switch. I opened the switch once, cleaned everything and put it back together but could not get the locking mechanism to work reliably, some times it would stay in, then it would not come back out, etc.. The switch just gets gummed up with muck, so contact cleaner usually works.

Gary