Trunk Won't Close

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Big Tee
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Trunk Won't Close

Post by Big Tee »

My trunk will Not close on my new to me wing. Last week I had to stop on the side of the road in 98 degree heat to get an item out of my trunk and it would not shut. I tried the remote, lock/unlock and then manually with the key, then the lock mechanism with a screw driver. After about 30 minutes I finally just had to tie the trunk down with bungee cords to make it home. The Strange thing is it Locked itself!! I found this very strange and glad it did but thinking I hope its not an electrical problem, but surely I could over ride it manually with the key.

Yesterday I left out and forgot about my trunk problem as I had no problem opening and closing it when I left. When I arrived at my destination Boom...it happened again!! So I had to tie the dang trunk down again to the amazement of my Harley friends!

This is a 2003 with low mileage and everything including latches look brand new.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Its driving me nuts! Lol

Thanks in advance! :)

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Re: Trunk Won't Close

Post by raven41951 »

Its new to you but still 14 years young. Could be a lot of things. My first thought is to check the locking mechanism for binding, then make sure the top and bottom halves are aligned. I say this because you rode it and it locked up. Maybe a bump in the road caused everything to align so that the latch would catch.

It could have been dropped at some time, or an accident or whatever that caused this. No way to know, just keep inspecting and adjusting until you find it.
Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Assend 195x60x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Post by Red Ron »

As i remember you can adjust the latches to make the a little looser and all the trunk to close. As to it locking; if you previously had it set to lock and press the open button of the fob and shut the trunk back, it will automatically lock. The only way to keep it from locking is to open the trunk with the key and that deactivates the auto lock function.
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

I suspect there might be a bit of old, hardened grease in there that's making the pall move verrrrry slowwwwwly, if at all. A really good cleaning with some solvent will probably free it up & stop the Harley guys from laughing.

'Course, I have my own comeback that always shuts 'em up - I always tell 'em I have a problem with my bike...the onboard cappuccino maker is slower to froth the milk than it should be...they just glare, grumble, and stalk away at that :roll: :lol:
FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Post by FlyBoy2121 »

I Big Tee
I had the same problem last season, on the cover there are two U which are vicious on the cover and which is barred in the mechanism of the bottom, checks if the two U are very well vicious, me there was a U which was not tight.

FlyBoy2121

Big Tee wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 am My trunk will Not close on my new to me wing. Last week I had to stop on the side of the road in 98 degree heat to get an item out of my trunk and it would not shut. I tried the remote, lock/unlock and then manually with the key, then the lock mechanism with a screw driver. After about 30 minutes I finally just had to tie the trunk down with bungee cords to make it home. The Strange thing is it Locked itself!! I found this very strange and glad it did but thinking I hope its not an electrical problem, but surely I could over ride it manually with the key.

Yesterday I left out and forgot about my trunk problem as I had no problem opening and closing it when I left. When I arrived at my destination Boom...it happened again!! So I had to tie the dang trunk down again to the amazement of my Harley friends!

This is a 2003 with low mileage and everything including latches look brand new.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Its driving me nuts! Lol

Thanks in advance! :)
Big Tee
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by Big Tee »

Thanks guys for all your help!! I fixed it and all it needed was a good cleaning, lubing and a little adjustment. If I ever have another mishap I'll be sure to remember the "the onboard cappuccino maker" thing!! Lol :lol: :mrgreen: