overheating GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
tldmlink
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

overheating GL1800

Post by tldmlink »

I was on a trip out west and experienced an issue with my wing. Between Denver and Colorado Springs I noticed the coolant temp was just above the half way point (is normally ran below the halfway point) , I put is off because of the higher altitudes . While waiting to climb Pikes peak the gauge went to the top red mark , then came back down twice while in line. We dropped our trailer and started the climb but within two miles it was hot again and came back down. I checked the coolant level and it was full when I opened the radiator cap to be sure it was full , the coolant was full and super hot. we drove around on the flat city streets and it would run warm there also . So I loaded the wing up in a U-Haul and came back to Wisconsin . While I was checking it out I noticed a vibration/growling noise about 2500 rpms . Until then the engine runs smooth. It even runs warmer at high idle not moving . I took it apart hoping to find a impeller slipping , didn't see anything that pointed to the answer. Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I am going to replace the pump and t-stat since it is apart but wondering if I need to check deeper before I reassemble it? Thank for any and all responses

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: overheating GL1800

Post by 702scottc »

I'm assuming that you checked the fans for proper operation? They come on at 15mph and below. Mine runs warm in slow traffic, I think they all do. The fan program really should be changed from 15 mph to 25mph, that would fix a lot of hot running issues. I have figured out a way to bypass the fan program in the PCM without running a bunch of wires, simply ground the fan relay with a wire and a rocker switch. The PCM supplies a ground to the fan relay below 15mph, just connect a second wire to either the fan relay or to the wire on the PCM harness and ground it. Anytime the engine starts heating up in traffic flip the switch and override the PCM supplied ground.Once you are rolling at say 30 mph, turn it off and your good to go.
The symptoms you are describing really sound like a defective thermostat. A new water pump and thermostat would be my first choice. Replace the radiator cap as well.

tldmlink

Post by tldmlink »

thanks I was going to reverse the fans and also install manual fan switch
Attachments

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Post by 702scottc »

I wouldn't reverse the fans, they don't work well that way. If your engine is overheating over 30 mph you either have a thermostat issue or an air pocket in the cooling system. Since the radiator cap is the highest point in the system an air pocket would be easy to eliminate. Let the engine idle with the cap off and watch it run thru several thermostat open and close cycles. If there is air trapped this should eliminate it. Possibly even a head gasket issue,( I doubt it.) adding a secondary ground to the fan relay will solve the low speed airflow issue. I do agree that the fans should pull air rather than push, the bike was designed this way to keep the hot air off the rider. I know that riding on the interstate on a typical hot Mohave desert day I can feel the hot air from the radiators while riding.

tldmlink

Post by tldmlink »

it was running warmer than normal at highway speeds and when I was going slow is when it was getting closer to the red mark on the gauge. the vibration /growling is my biggest concern right now , I didn't see any reason for it yet . I would hate to reassemble it and the vibration is still there and then I would have to take it apart again .

travellingtenor
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda GL1800ABS, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300, 1996 Honda Pacific Coast, 1994 Honda Magna 750

Post by travellingtenor »

In my three years of riding my 01 wing in the deserts of Arizona I have never had the temperature gage go beyond the half way mark. The fans come on but the gage hardly moves.

zgoldwingman
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800, 2003 SilverWing FCS600, 1983 CX500 C, 1983 FT500, 2004 Reflex NSS250, 1997 XR100

Post by zgoldwingman »

I have a friend that has had about the same problems you have described. He has replaced the water pump and thermostat, reversed the fans, and changed them back. Also had it at the dealer first and they checked most everything. He just took the radiators off last week. Held them up to light, couldn't see through them, either one. He said they were very hard to get all the debris cleaned out, probably, and mostly insects. I ask him if he never aimed a hard stream of water from the garden hose at the radiators? His reply was "probably not".

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

'Radiators are hard to clean without damaging the fins, IE, bend them over flat and game over.

There is a product that is available at most Air Conditioning maintenance supply stores called "Foaminator"

Get a small aerosol can of that and spray it on the fins...

it will soak thru the radiator and foam up the debris and bring it out to the surface. Then you can use the water hose and hand sprayer to wash off the foam and debris, and then you can blow water thru the fins to flush them out well.

The stuff is non-acidic, but if you get it on your skin, it burns like hell.... don't ask me how I know :)

Watch their videos that show how to use it....
I bought a 1 gallon jug to clean the fins on my 4 ton HVAC outside condensor fins. Use it just like they tell you to, don't try to out think them, I did that, and wasted some of the product....

When they say mix it 3 parts water to 1 part solvent, they mean it....
I mixed it 2 to 1 because my fins were clogged up solid.....

El Wrongo! the stuff is a thick syrup as it comes, and they mean it when they tell you to dilute it down, it won't soak in properly until it is the right mixture.

A gallon costs about $30 bux, pays for itself the first time you use it...
Saved me a couple hundred bux in not having to call out the HVAC repairman.

http://vapcoproducts.com/foaminator.html

I used a 1 gallon hand sprayer bottle that can be purchased for $10 or less at most hardware stores.... it gets used a lot for Spider control, ants, and 2-4D for killing weeds and grass.

Be sure you disassemble the sprayer nozzle wand parts completely and flush until clean, the pump handle also..... if you don't it wont' be any good the next time you want it.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc