Radio with a clutch??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Alfdude1
Motorcycle: 2008 Spyder GS

Radio with a clutch??

Post by Alfdude1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Greetings,
Does anyone by chance have a pinout chart for the two connectors (Black and Gray) that plug into the audio system of a 2003 GL1800? I have a very unique issue that I am attempting to troubleshoot.

Problem:
With the bike in “Neutral” and the ignition in the “ON” position, the audio system (AM, FM, CB, Intercom, WB) works properly. All the controls (Volume, Tuning, Squelch, Mute) and display respond appropriately

HOWEVER!!

1) If you put the bike in any gear (Neutral light goes out), the audio disappears and you hear nothing. Yet the controls still operate appropriately. To make it more confusing, the sound comes back when you squeeze the clutch all the way in
Or
2) If you engage the “Reverse” system (Neutral light goes out) The same thing occurs with the loss of sound, but all controls and display still work
Or
3) If you turn the ignition switch to the “ACC” position, again the loss of sound, but the controls and display work correctly

Everything else appears to operate correctly (lights, suspension, signals, etc.). It sounds as though I have lost a ground. It appears to have some relationship to the neutral light circuit

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio with a clutch??

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am

You've definitely lost a ground, and instead the audio system is finding its ground through your neutral light and/or clutch switch. When those grounds disappear the audio loses its power.

The ground for the audio system is on the BLACK connector, on a solid green wire. Be careful, as there are several solid green wires, and only one of them is the ground - see below:

Power/Ground check for audio unit
Power/Ground check for audio unit

You could also check your main wire harness:

Main wire harness check
Main wire harness check

The wire color chart for the two audio unit connectors:

Audio connector colors
Audio connector colors

My guess is that the green ground wire on the black connector is not properly grounded anymore. You can try to follow it to its source and find the break - or just sister it: run a second ground wire to a known good ground, and splice it into that green wire at or near the black connector.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

I completely agree with wingadmin, you have lost your ground connection to the radio. Either check your wiring and fix the issue, or run a new ground wire from the radio to the chassis or battery negative terminal. I would suggest running a wire first, just to see if it fixes the issue. If it does you can then decide to make the wire permanent or look for the bad connection

Gary

Alfdude1
Motorcycle: 2008 Spyder GS

Post by Alfdude1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:40 am

FOUND IT!!

This is a CSC trike conversion and the dealer connected the backup lights wiring incorrectly when reassembling it after the brake recall. Many hours of troubleshooting to find out it was one wire in the wrong place.

Thanks for the help,
Mike