Front brake replacement

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
cfennell1832
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2007 1800GL

Front brake replacement

Post by cfennell1832 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 am

Anyone have a video on replacing the front brakes without removing the front tire? The repair manual i have (Clymer) says the brakes can be replaced without removing the tire.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Front brake replacement

Post by cihilb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 am

You can indeed change the pads without wheel removal. Push the pads back towards the caliper with a wide flat blade. Looking at the caliper you will see a small rubber plug at the bottom. Remove the plug and use an allen wrench to remove the pin. You should be able to pull the pads out of the caliper. When installing the new pads, make sure they "clip" into the retainer at the top. Clean the pin and apply some high temp brake grease to it, and reinstall. Pump the brake lever to re-seat the pistons. Carefully remove the top of the front master cylinder (cover the plastic on the bike first) and make sure the brake fluid is at the proper level.
Depending on when the system was last flushed, this would be a good time to do a complete flush. Search for the flush procedure. Lot's of links show the proper bleeding sequence.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Post by FlyBoy2121 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:14 am

I cfennell1832

I have no video to offer you, but here is a slide show that you can watch.
I followed this method.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/brakepads

FlyBoy2121

cfennell1832

Post by cfennell1832 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm

cihilb wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 am
You can indeed change the pads without wheel removal. Push the pads back towards the caliper with a wide flat blade. Looking at the caliper you will see a small rubber plug at the bottom. Remove the plug and use an allen wrench to remove the pin. You should be able to pull the pads out of the caliper. When installing the new pads, make sure they "clip" into the retainer at the top. Clean the pin and apply some high temp brake grease to it, and reinstall. Pump the brake lever to re-seat the pistons. Carefully remove the top of the front master cylinder (cover the plastic on the bike first) and make sure the brake fluid is at the proper level.
Depending on when the system was last flushed, this would be a good time to do a complete flush. Search for the flush procedure. Lot's of links show the proper bleeding sequence.
I think I got it, once the pin is removed the pads should fall right out why do I need to push the pads back towards the calipers?

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am

cfennell1832 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm
cihilb wrote:
I think I got it, once the pin is removed the pads should fall right out why do I need to push the pads back towards the calipers?
Pushes the pistons back. Makes it easier to remove the old pads. AND, makes room for the new (thicker) pads.

cfennell1832

Post by cfennell1832 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

cihilb wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am
cfennell1832 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm
cihilb wrote:
Pushes the pistons back. Makes it easier to remove the old pads. AND, makes room for the new (thicker) pads.
For some reason I was thinking push the pads strait back like towards the engine and not to the side of the calipers.