Changing how direction lights work?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
stefteach
Motorcycle: 2002 GL 1800 Trike Champions

Changing how direction lights work?

Post by stefteach »

Hello wingers,

I just moved to Italy bringing with me my Goldwing. According to the Italian DMV, in order for me to register my bike I have to change the way my direction lights work (in the front). As you all know, when you turn on the bike, the direction lights both come on, along with the other lights, and then they blink when you use the switch.

What they require is that those lights stay off, and only blink on when you engage the direction switch. Is there anyone out there knowing how to do this? It doesn't sound terribly complicated but I don't want to start messing with it before asking the helpful bunch in this forum.

Apparently, the European Goldwings also have position lights inside their main lights, they look like a small additional pilot light bulbs... weird. Anyway, I may have to change the main lights too, if I can even find them (anyone know a source?).

Thanks!

iancardwell
Motorcycle: Since 2001 - All GL1800airbag models - '01'03'04'06'08'10'12'14'16 and now a 2017 bike registered March 2018 :)

Re: Changing how direction lights work?

Post by iancardwell »

Hi, I've brought several US spec bikes into the UK and had to do the same thing to the turn signals and front position light.

Good news is, Its very simple and takes around 10mins for the turn signals and 30mins for the white position light.

01 Turn Signals
Remove the mirror, remove the bulb holder, remove the bulb
Brake off one of the centre pins
Hey presto, now, only the bright turn signal will operate :)
Job done.

02 Front white position light
What I used to do to make the US bikes comply with this regulation is -
Install a white LED lamp under the nose in the centre of the bike.
I used to wire it from the AUX supply on the fuse board so that it comes on when the ignition is turned ON. In the UK it is a requirement for it to be on a seprate circuit to the headlamp so the AUX works just fine.
You can run a twin feed wire up to under the front left pocket and connect to the AUX supply under there if you have a 3 pin Hitach connector, if not you'll need to take your feed wire directly to the AUX terminal on the fuse board.
Heres a link to the light I used - http://wingstuff.com/products/2857-led- ... m_search=1

I hope this helps :)
Have fun
Ian.
ian@winginit.org
Goldwing tours,
Routine servicing,
GPS systems,
Accessory fitting,
Powder coating,
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

That’s easy ... and you don’t even have to alter the Wing 😀. Remove each bulb and cut the metal contact wires going up into each bulb that needs altered. I believe the ones you want to cut are the ones to the lower element inside the bulb. The upper element is for the brighter of the 2 elements (flasher). Clip those contact wires on the bulb so when it’s plugged back in, the lower element gets no ground or power.
stefteach
Motorcycle: 2002 GL 1800 Trike Champions

Post by stefteach »

I knew I could count on you guys... thanks a bunch!