Tight Left or Right slow turn question!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
texwing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Goldwing
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
1980 CM400A Hondamatic

Tight Left or Right slow turn question!

Post by texwing »

Greetings to all...here's a thought question.
I have noticed something in my own driving that is a curiosity - here it is:
In making slow u-turns (parking lot turns, etc.), I feel much more comfortable and secure while making a Left u-turn than Right. (I am right handed, if it makes a difference, driving GWs for 4 yrs.)
I watch the training YouTubes about looking in the direction of the turn and all that...no problems at hwy speeds, but those slow ones are where I notice my own feeling of bit insecure going Right. If I have a choice, it seems I will choose the Left turn around direction. Comments?
Just curious if anyone else has some similar feelings or interesting quirks?
Thanks for your input here and Happy Trails to all (Roy Rogers fan here!)

[img]TexWing
McAllen, TX.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Tight Left or Right slow turn question!

Post by AZgl1800 »

You are not alone in that respect...

Here is how to get over that, put a slight bit of pressure on the foot brake, apply a little bit of throttle so the engine is pulling just a bit, and hold the clutch in the middle "Slip Zone". I like to use 2nd gear as 1st gear is just to ticklish too get it all "correct"...

Control your speed with the brake more so that the clutch, don't be twisting the throttle, hold it pretty much constant.

a big parking lot is a good place to practice turns, I do figure 8s for a while, every time I can get in an area open enough to do that. practice, practice, practice, practice,

as you get more comfortable with the figure 8s, try to make them as small as possible.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPN, April 24, 2017

Post by nitefuzz »

For me I feel more comfortable making a U-Turn to the left because if I have to drop a foot for support, I can still keep my right foot on the rear brake to help control the wing. Using both front and rear brake during this is safer for me. I try not to use the front brake anymore then I have to while making a turn like this, especially on loose gravel (stay off the front brake). Just saying this is what I do. Ride safe and keep it on the rubber only.

texwing
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Goldwing
1988 GL1500 Goldwing
1980 CM400A Hondamatic

Post by texwing »

Maybe that is why I feel more secure with tight L turn...L foot available for support.
I also realized I do need to keep off front brake and trust foot/rear brake for control. Thanks for the input and advise.
And empty parking lot practice is a great way to sharpen skills,,but very different when loaded with travel gear and 2up :)
Always looking for ways to sharpen up and be safer.
Thanks again.
[img]TexWing
McAllen, TX.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Most riders say that u-turns and slow tight maneuvers turning to the right is more challenging. To correct that, practice defiantly helps. If one does not want to do that, new wrists are available that have 3 joints instead of one. However, people who gotten new wrists find it hard to use a fork. If you go that route, don't get both. Ones who have gotten both can't eat like everyone else and have to eat off a plate ... ever seen someone eat a hamburger from a plate, or chili right out of a bowl !!!

Another thing one can do is to tighten up the steering head. On GL1800, most go to tapered steering head bearing. I always tell people they will gain riding confidence doing slow speed maneuvers. It greatly reduces "steering correction" in the middle of a turn.