2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
mcbrown
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Atwell, Western Australia
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800CADA
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 GL1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by mcbrown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 am



I recently took my wheels into the tyre shop for some new Bridgestones 61,000km (3rd set) and asked them to be careful of the TPMS. When I went back to get the fitted tyres they said there was no TPMS there. ???? This same shop replaced my original Bridgestone tyres last time at 30,000km and I then also asked them to be careful of the TPMS sensors. Nothing was mentioned about them at the time and I regretfully didn't ask. My Wing is a 2010 airbag with ABS. I'm sure I was told at the time of purchasing my new Wing that it had TPMS. Is there some way to identify if TPMS was originally installed as I am wondering if they damaged them and then removed them. Thanks for your input.
PS. I will check back with the original shop where I purchased my Wing in 2011 and see what they have to say.
Murray



DaveO430
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by DaveO430 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

Yes it did come with TPMS. When you turn the ignition on you should see the TPMS light for a few seconds in the lower left corner of the instrument panel. If the sensors were removed or damaged the light should stay on. The lights can be extinguished but it takes some time.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by cihilb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am

Honda has a procedure for removing the tire on TPMS models. Bead breaking and tire removal MUST be done according to the bulletin, otherwise the TPMS sensor will be damaged.
The valve on the TPMS models is a square aluminum block with the valve stem coming out at a right angle.
the 2010 all had TPMS.
Sounds like they broke the sensor.

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by thrasherg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 am

If the TPMS light on the dashboard is not lighting up, I suspect the TPMS is fitted and the shop that changed your tyres just didn't notice it as it is part of the inflation valve assembly. It is easy to see, but maybe their tech wasn't paying attention and just missed it?

Gary

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by cihilb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 am

Did you take the wheels to a Honda shop or just a regular tire shop? They may not have seen the TPMS since it is part of the valve stem.
Very easily broken if you don't know it's there.

DaveO430
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by DaveO430 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 pm

cihilb wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am
Honda has a procedure for removing the tire on TPMS models. Bead breaking and tire removal MUST be done according to the bulletin, otherwise the TPMS sensor will be damaged.
The valve on the TPMS models is a square aluminum block with the valve stem coming out at a right angle.
the 2010 all had TPMS.
Sounds like they broke the sensor.
A whole lot of sensors got broken when TPMS first came along, some still don't know how to do it and probably don't think about motorcycles having it.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by cihilb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 pm

DaveO430 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 pm
cihilb wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am
Honda has a procedure for removing the tire on TPMS models. Bead breaking and tire removal MUST be done according to the bulletin, otherwise the TPMS sensor will be damaged.
The valve on the TPMS models is a square aluminum block with the valve stem coming out at a right angle.
the 2010 all had TPMS.
Sounds like they broke the sensor.
A whole lot of sensors got broken when TPMS first came along, some still don't know how to do it and probably don't think about motorcycles having it.
The tech at my dealer broke one of mine and he had followed the procedure. They replaced it no charge but i actually felt sorry for him. i was watching him do the work with the instructions right on the tire machine.

User avatar
mcbrown
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Atwell, Western Australia
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800CADA
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 GL1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by mcbrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 am

I remember when I took the Wing in for the very first set of tyres after the originals they said they had changed the valves as historically they tend to fail at times. It was not a Honda shop but they said they were familiar with TPMS on Gold Wings. I cannot see a TPMS light on my dash and all the lights indicated in the manual that came with the bike doesn't even mention TPMS. Maybe it was never there to start with as I'm in Australia and maybe we didn't get it as part of our Australian version. Can someone please post a picture of the dash and where the light should be?

Murray

DaveO430
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by DaveO430 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:12 am

If they changed the stems it didn't have TPMS, maybe the Ausie version does not.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by cihilb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 am

Bottom left hand corner of the tach. Two lights.


Last edited by cihilb on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mcbrown
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Atwell, Western Australia
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800CADA
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 GL1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by mcbrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 am

The lights displayed on my bike are from the left where you have indicated TPMS on your bike on my Wing are:

- Immobiliser System (HISS) indicator
- Airbag Indicator

Looks like we didn't get TPMS in Oz unless mine is the odd one out in the Australian distribution.

Thanks to all for contributing to this discussion.

I might consider getting a 3rd party TPMS for my bike and trailer. Any suggestions for what is a good one to buy?

Thanks

Murray

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19542
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2010 GoldWing ?? TPMS

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am

mcbrown wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 am
The lights displayed on my bike are from the left where you have indicated TPMS on your bike on my Wing are:

- Immobiliser System (HISS) indicator
- Airbag Indicator

Looks like we didn't get TPMS in Oz unless mine is the odd one out in the Australian distribution.

Thanks to all for contributing to this discussion.

I might consider getting a 3rd party TPMS for my bike and trailer. Any suggestions for what is a good one to buy?

Thanks

Murray
I've been using this one on my bike and trailer for quite a few years now: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12249



Post Reply