Air Bag recall - Dodgy/incompetent Dealer??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
dakbutler
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Deluxe

Air Bag recall - Dodgy/incompetent Dealer??

Post by dakbutler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 am

Dealer collected my 2012 Wing for the air bag recall last week, did the job and returned the bike (all in a van).
I started and ran the bike to get it hot, and noticed the headlights didn't work. Everything else did - radio, nav etc.
Occasionally the low beams would come on, but never high beam. Tapping the area around the air bag would sometimes fetch on the low beams.
Phoned dealer - they sent back van and took bike away again.
Dealer phoned two days later and said it was nothing they had done - it was a corroded starter (switch I think he said - may have said solenoid), but they would fix it for no charge anyway.
Surely if he meant the contacts supplying the "ignition on" devices, then nav and radio would have been equally affected?
Also I suspect removing the air bag needs a fair bit of wire wiggling under that area?

So my question - is the dealer's account of the fault likely, or is he covering for a technician who didn't fully re-connect a part of the loom?

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Air Bag recall - Dodgy/incompetent Dealer??

Post by DaveO430 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 am

dakbutler wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 am

Dealer phoned two days later and said it was nothing they had done - it was a corroded starter (switch I think he said - may have said solenoid), but they would fix it for no charge anyway.
That would have been my bet from the start (start switch). Nothing under the air bag that could cause that. Sounds like a pretty upstanding dealer to me.

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Air Bag recall - Dodgy/incompetent Dealer??

Post by cihilb » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:16 am

It is a fairly common problem on the 1800's. Moisture and dirt collects and the switch may not return to the normal position or the grease in the switch dries out and causes the problem. The cruise, reverse and fog light switches are also prone to this 'failure'.
The dealer is actually doing you a favor by correcting it.