Brakes: Front/Back use ratio

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Brakes: Front/Back use ratio

Post by C-dub » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 pm

I've been thinking about this for a little while since learning that on my Wing, when I activate the rear brake the front is also activated somewhat automatically and vise versa to a lesser extent. When I learned this it reminded me of a statement/question the salesperson asked me when I first bought it. Back then, last summer, he asked me how much I used my front brake. I thought it was a trick question and he didn't explain why he asked. Since I'd never ridden a bike like a Wing I'd always used the brakes about 60/40 rear/front or so.

I'm approaching 10k miles on my almost 11 month old Wing, when it'll be time for another oil change. I'll check the tires before taking it in to see if I need to go ahead and get them changed out with the new E4's I ordered a couple months ago. I haven't noticed any uneven wear on the original tires and they still feel okay when riding without any apparent decrease in stopping ability yet or loss of traction.

My basic question is, about how much do any of ya'll actively use your front brake? I guess I'm doing okay and not over using it, but won't really know until it gets the next service done at 12k miles. How long should they last? One set of tires or more? I'm not hard on them, but this is a big bike that is 400+ lbs heavier than my last bike.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: Brakes: Front/Back use ratio

Post by baumedagn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 am

When your rear brake pedal is used, one side of the front brakes is also engaged. When you use the front brake lever, the other side in the front is engaged (no rear brake action). I personally use both brakes almost always. Slow speed parking lot maneuvers probably not.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
198? Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
198? Honda XL250R
197? Suzuki GT185
197? Suzuki 90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 am

This other thread, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3535, is where I think I learned about the integration of the brakes. I had never heard of such a thing on bikes before.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 am

if needing to stop quick, I grab a hand full of front brake and apply as much foot brake as I can without locking up the rear wheel.

the front brakes provide over 60%, probably closer to 80% of the actual braking of the bike due to forward motion of the bike and it wanting to dive down.

as mentioned, the front brake lever only operates one set of front pads, the foot brake operates the opposite side front brake pads.
~John

freedomrunner
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Post by freedomrunner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 am

c-dub, One question you asked that hasn't been responded to yet is your inquiry as to how long your brakes will last. Tough question to answer because just like your family sedan, the life span of your brakes depends on how you stop and what type of driving you do. For example, if you do a lot of city driving, you are constantly stopping the bike. You might actually be using your brakes 10-15 times per mile. On the other hand, if you drive mostly highways and interstates, you may use your brakes once in 250 miles, as you stop to get fuel and take off again. My last bike I had close to 100K miles on it, still on my original brakes. Also, if you are a driver who stops quickly, that quick braking action builds heat which will accelerate the deterioration of the brake pads. You have 10k miles on the bike now, go ahead and inspect the brakes, get an idea of the wear that has taken place to date and judge from there.