Do you look thru

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPN, April 24, 2017

Re: Do you look thru

Post by nitefuzz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:27 pm

I have a tall windshield and have been looking through it for several years. Went to this because it pushed the wind up and over the passenger (wife). She said this is better for her, I got use to looking through the windshield, not a big deal to me. The one thing I found was Rain-X for plexiglass at Walmart's. I treat my windshield before a trip and take some along in a small spray bottle. I am absolutely impressed with this stuff. It is made for plastic and has not done any damage to the windshield, I figure if it ever does fade the windshield it would probably be time to replace it anyways. Been using this stuff for 4 years now and has had no bad effect on the plexiglass material of the windshield. You have to find the Rain-X for plastic though.
After hearing about this product being sold at Walmart's we started our search during our travels, checking every Walmart's we came across and finally found one bottle at Walmart's in Ohio, good luck and just be persistent at finding the stuff, its out there but is hard to find.

This Rain-X for Plastic has been impressive from my experience, the rain just sheets off and even a light drizzle will start to build up and when it gets to a point it just scoots off. The only thing that I have noticed is that some times in the right condition, as the rain on the windshield sheets off it runs to the top and down the inside some times. When does this it is easy to reach and just wipe off with a rag that my wife can hand me, not a big deal. In heavy rain it tends to not run down the inside. Anyway you look at it, to me, it is a wonderful improvement compared to not having the treatment on the windshield, yes I even treat the inside and it wipes off very easily.

Easy to apply, just spray it on, rub it in and buff it off with a micro fiber, works great, just buff it to a clear shine.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:27 pm

wingthing88 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:35 pm
I'm just curious if anyone has considered passenger comfort? My wife is quite tall(and beautiful) and with the stock gl1500 windscreen was severely affected by buffeting after about 50 miles of highway she would get a severe headache so I went with the old barn door windscreen and she now actually enjoys the ride. Does anyone know what screen might solve the problem of passenger buffet and still allow me to see over the top? I really would like to look over instead of through and regain my fuel mileage I had with the stock screen.
I always consider my better half’s comfort. However, we are on our first Wing and our last ride was a hayabusa, so she has bias point of view. The bus’s was a fun and exciting ride, but the Wing is FAR more comfortable in every way so far. She claims to not feel any or much buffetting and that I am her main shield. Even though the back seat is higher I am 6’ and she is 5’. I should get my daughter to take a picture of us so we’ll know how close in height we are when riding.

To answer your question; I think a Madstad shield might be your answer. I’m still rocking the OEM shield, but there are a few members here that rave over their Madstad. If I need to replace mine that is at the top of my list to consider.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by wingthing88 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Sadly my wife and I are the same height 5’10’’ so she sits higher than I do lol but it’s all good. We also have an 85 Yamaha Seca Turbo she use to fall asleep on the back that’s why I had to get the wing so she wouldn’t fall off.

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 pm

C-dub wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:27 pm
wingthing88 wrote:
I'm just curious if anyone has considered passenger comfort? My wife is quite tall(and beautiful) and with the stock gl1500 windscreen was severely affected by buffeting after about 50 miles of highway she would get a severe headache so I went with the old barn door windscreen and she now actually enjoys the ride. Does anyone know what screen might solve the problem of passenger buffet and still allow me to see over the top? I really would like to look over instead of through and regain my fuel mileage I had with the stock screen.
I always consider my better half’s comfort. However, we are on our first Wing and our last ride was a hayabusa, so she has a bias point of view. The busa was a fun and exciting ride, but the Wing is FAR more comfortable in every way so far. She claims to not feel any or much buffetting and that I am her main shield. Even though the back seat is higher I am 6’ and she is 5’. I should get my daughter to take a picture of us so we’ll know how close in height we are when riding.

To answer your question; I think a Madstad shield might be your answer. I’m still rocking the OEM shield, but there are a few members here that rave over their Madstad. If I need to replace mine that is at the top of my list to consider.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:48 pm

wingthing88 wrote:
I always consider my better half’s comfort. However, we are on our first Wing and our last ride was a hayabusa, so she has a bias point of view. The busa was a fun and exciting ride, but the Wing is FAR more comfortable in every way so far. She claims to not feel any or much buffetting and that I am her main shield. Even though the back seat is higher I am 6’ and she is 5’. I should get my daughter to take a picture of us so we’ll know how close in height we are when riding.