Navigation For Dummies

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
andybd69
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPN
123,000 and counting!

Navigation For Dummies

Post by andybd69 »

Hi all,
I have seen many things about updating NAVI on GL18s. Can someone direct me to or explain step by step the actual procedure for updating? I am obviously very ignorant, but I don't see any port to plug anything into?
Let the sarcasm begin! LOL.
Thanks!!!

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Navigation For Dummies

Post by Viking »

Open the trunk. The Nav unit is on the front wall. On the left, there is a plastic door with a protrusion to open it. Once it is open you will see a slot with a CF card in it, beside a tiny square pushrod. If you push the pushrod in, the CF card will release and can be taken out. Putting it back in is a touchy action, and must be done very carefully to avoid bending pins in the Nav unit, but if careful, it goes in nicely and then is pressed in firmly.

That takes care of the extraction and insertion of the card.

To update, you would need to get a new CF card, as the original will not normally work if you rewrite it. I have had luck with 2 GB cards, some people have been able to use 4 GB cards. If the full modern maps of Mexico, US including Alaska, and Canada are wanted, it takes a 4 GB card, or two 2 GB cards, with the maps split onto the two. I am using 2 2 GB cards with the maps split mid USA at a line through Kentucky.

You can either purchase updates from Garmin or Honda, Garmin being less expensive. All these updates will bring your bikes Nav forward to mapping from 2016, I would think.

OR - you can learn to make mapping yourself on a computer using the CNANT update disks. This is quite involved, and I am not prepared to give a lecture on how to do it in this post. To even think about this, you would first need to obtain a CF card reader/writer to plug into a USB port on your computer, so you can record the maps you produce from the CNANT disc. Some obsolete software is necessary in order to be able to select the map portions that you wish to write to the CF card. Nuff said on that topic.

This should give you adequate background to decide how you wish to proceed.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

andybd69
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPN
123,000 and counting!

Re: Navigation For Dummies

Post by andybd69 »

Thanks for all the info and the time to type it! I can't wait to try it.