SpeedoDRD Installed & Dialed In

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

SpeedoDRD Installed & Dialed In

Post by JoeHall »

Today's goal was to install the SpeedoDRD. Before tackling the job, for the past week, I prepared by watching several youtube videos on replacing the air cleaner. Those videos gave step by step info on how to remove the shelter, which was the most difficult preliminary for the SpeedoDRD install. Start to finish, it took about 4 hours, but that included playing around with other stuff while in there, i.e. adjusting the cruise control. If I had focused on just the SpeedoDRD, it could easily have been done in half that time.

The fun part, albeit time consuming, was dialing the SpeedoDRD in afterward. I am not a techie, so first read the instructions and watched the manufacturer's videos several times. Then I wound up riding the bike about 75 miles total, and made 3-4 adjustments along the way, while pulled over on the side of the road. I wound up with a 4.8 percent reduction, to match the speedo and GPS, near as the naked eye could discern. The odometer wound up negative by a little less than 2 percent, i.e. 100 miles indicated is an actual 101.9 miles.

Before the SpeedoDRD, the speedo read high by around 4-5 MPH at road speeds, and the odo read high by 5-6 percent. Per the flash code, the SpeedoDRD was zeroed out, but it reduced the speedo error noticeably and odometer error down to around 3 percent, before I began to dial it in. So the total effect of the SpeedoDRD was actually around 7 percent reduction. I cannot explain the initial effects, but that is what happened.

I am a stickler when it comes to things like gauge accuracy, and now I am happy with the speedo and odo. It is disappointing that Mother Honda actually sold them new with this problem, which could easily have been remedied at the factory. I have read of the lawsuit around 2010, and that is probably as plausible an explanation as any. At any rate, I am a happy camper now!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: SpeedoDRD Installed & Dialed In

Post by AZgl1800 »

is that different than the SpeedOhealer?

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 »

JoeHall wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I am a stickler when it comes to things like gauge accuracy, and now I am happy with the speedo and odo. It is disappointing that Mother Honda actually sold them new with this problem, which could easily have been remedied at the factory. I have read of the lawsuit around 2010, and that is probably as plausible an explanation as any. At any rate, I am a happy camper now!
I agree, no reason why they couldn't make them accurate. MY 08 was off just like most of them but my 2010 speedo is dead on but the odometer is generous by about 3%. That lawsuit was only about the cars because of the warranty, motorcycles have an unlimited mileage warranty so it doesn't matter.
JoeHall
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by JoeHall »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:04 am is that different than the SpeedOhealer?

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
It is similar, but different from the speedohealer. I do not know anything about the Speedohealer, but it is difficult to imagine it could be any simpler to install or dial in than the SpeedoDRD was. Healer cost about 50 percent more than the DRD. That helped me a lot in choosing. LOL

UPDATE: I just rode 100 miles with GPS sitting on the dash, below the speedometer. After one more tweaking of the DRD controller (splitting hairs), the odometer is now off by 1.4 percent (100 miles indicated, is 101.4 actual); the speedometer is as close as the human eye can discern, at all speeds from 40-80 MPH.