Kuryakyn plug and play... no brake lights on trailer

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Rockdog
Motorcycle: 2002 honda goldwing gl1800.... 1978 gl1000

Kuryakyn plug and play... no brake lights on trailer

Post by Rockdog »

I got the kuryakyn plug and play harness....but apparently the 2002 bike is a 5 wire system?....I have a trailer that is a 4 wire system..... I have turn signals and running lights on trailer but no brake lights on trailer.....what am I missing.......I absolutely hate wiring.......do I need something else from kuryakyn to make this work along with the plug and play harness????

Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Kuryakyn plug and play... no brake lights on trailer

Post by Techdude2000 »

Rockdog wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 pm I got the kuryakyn plug and play harness....but apparently the 2002 bike is a 5 wire system?....I have a trailer that is a 4 wire system..... I have turn signals and running lights on trailer but no brake lights on trailer.....what am I missing.......I absolutely hate wiring.......do I need something else from kuryakyn to make this work along with the plug and play harness????
If this is an isolator, you will need a 5 to 4 converter. This is one of the best complete setups available for the wing. http://electricalconnection.com/index.p ... 6+Isolator
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Your Honda has amber rear turnsignals separate from the red brake lights. Sounds like your trailer has one red light on each side that provides both brake lights and turnsignals.

There are many converters available to adapt this situation You can purchase them from multiple online sites, at Walmart or any auto parts store.

Alternatively you can add amber turnsignals to your trailer to match your bike.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

I should have made myself clearer, if your harness includes an isolator, all you will need is a 5 to 4 converter. If it doesn’t include an isolator, you should get one. The 1800 has a poor ground system for everything on the rear of the bike and running trailer lights directly from it without an isolator is asking for trouble.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Techdude2000 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:39 am I should have made myself clearer, if your harness includes an isolator, all you will need is a 5 to 4 converter. If it doesn’t include an isolator, you should get one. The 1800 has a poor ground system for everything on the rear of the bike and running trailer lights directly from it without an isolator is asking for trouble.
Well, that is not quite true.
Providing that you made triple darn sure that there is a good solid ground to the rear of the bike.
I ran a separate ground wire from the Battery's negative lead at the frame, to the rear of the bike.

I then ran wires direct from each function straight to the trailer, including the Ground Wire, and did NOT need any isolators or converters.

the trailer's lights are full brilliance, and the 1800s have plenty of amp capacity for a normal set of trailer lights. My trailer is 5 wire, a separate blue wire to separate Brake lights.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Rockdog

Post by Rockdog »

So as far as I can tell the blue wire off the kuryakyn wire harness is for trailer brakes..... can that be used as the brake lights on the trailer with separate lights?????? Stupid questions I know but wiring is not my forte...just want to make sure
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:59 pm
Techdude2000 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:39 am I should have made myself clearer, if your harness includes an isolator, all you will need is a 5 to 4 converter. If it doesn’t include an isolator, you should get one. The 1800 has a poor ground system for everything on the rear of the bike and running trailer lights directly from it without an isolator is asking for trouble.
Well, that is not quite true.
Providing that you made triple darn sure that there is a good solid ground to the rear of the bike.
I ran a separate ground wire from the Battery's negative lead at the frame, to the rear of the bike.

I then ran wires direct from each function straight to the trailer, including the Ground Wire, and did NOT need any isolators or converters.

the trailer's lights are full brilliance, and the 1800s have plenty of amp capacity for a normal set of trailer lights. My trailer is 5 wire, a separate blue wire to separate Brake lights.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
What I said is true if you are using all plug and play parts. You ran an extra ground wire from the battery and the plug and play stuff without an isolator doesn’t include that. I’ve seen many issues with the rear grounding circuit on 1800s without any trailer in tow and the system is poorly grounded from the factory. On top of that, you are seriously stressing the brake light circuit with the extra lights of the trailer. The bike’s circuit is using 16 gauge wire and if you add up all those lights on an 01-08 wings, there’s way too much load to have trailer lights directly on the circuit. Of course, this is just my opinion based on the 14 years of dealing with the 1800.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Rockdog wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:36 am So as far as I can tell the blue wire off the kuryakyn wire harness is for trailer brakes..... can that be used as the brake lights on the trailer with separate lights?????? Stupid questions I know but wiring is not my forte...just want to make sure
Yes, but without an isolator and a separate ground wire from the battery you are still asking for trouble.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

On top of that, you are seriously stressing the brake light circuit with the extra lights of the trailer. The bike’s circuit is using 16 gauge wire and if you add up all those lights on an 01-08 wings, there’s way too much load to have trailer lights directly on the circuit. Of course, this is just my opinion based on the 14 years of dealing with the 1800.
If you look at that Video again, you will note that ALL of the Brake Lights on that trailer are LEDs.
the big ones are the LED light fixtures for big Semi-Trucks/Trailers

The flasher module in the center is made by Pulsar and requires about 150 mAmps to light up all 18 segments.

so, in my case, and I try to note this: put LEDs on the trailer and just wire it straight thru and avoid the complications of Plug 'n Play crap causing issues. Stay away from Filament bulbs in Trailers.

My bike has already burned up a Plug 'n Play isolator and 5 to 4 wire converter.
I have not proven this, but I am highly suspecting that it is because I use the Emergency Lights every time I stop and get off the bike.

I have NO confidence in those things at all, that is why I went with a Straight Wire to Wire per function, and that ended my problems.

You will note, that in the Video the Emergency Lights are in effect ( blinking the Turn Signals )
Those two lights are Marine Trailer light fixtures with 1057 filament bulbs.
I bought a set of LED fixtures to replace them, but oh well, another day.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Rockdog

Post by Rockdog »

As far as led lights...that's what I have...I thought that the kuryakyn plug and play harness WAS an all in one...wiring harness AND isolator from the bikes wiring system.......otherwise I would have just did the wire for each light WITH leds.....
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

Rockdog wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:16 am As far as led lights...that's what I have...I thought that the kuryakyn plug and play harness WAS an all in one...wiring harness AND isolator from the bikes wiring system.......otherwise I would have just did the wire for each light WITH leds.....
It has an isolator if it has a dedicated power wire that has to be run to the battery, no power wire, no isolation.