LED headlight bulbs

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPN, April 24, 2017

LED headlight bulbs

Post by nitefuzz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 am

Hello everyone, I know this has been discussed in the past but I am going to bring it up again. Now that many of the Goldwing riders have switched to LED bulbs, what is the best out there and what has your experience been with riding at night with them, do you see just as far down the road or is it bright up close but no distance. I am thinking about changing my dim stock bulbs to the LED bulbs but have heard they do not project down the road far enough for good night time riding. I really don't want to change to HID in my dims because I don't want all the extra work that goes with the HID installation. I would like to just replace the stock dims with LED's that just replace the stock bulb and your done. As far as the brights go, I am happy with how the road is lit up and how the distance is for night riding. So, I am looking for input from anyone that has good or bad experiences with the LED and what you would do differently or change. What is the best LED bulb to purchase?? Thanks for giving your advise on this.

Nitefuzz

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Re: LED headlight bulbs

Post by Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Electrical connections LEDs --

[youtube]

[youtube]

[/YouTube]
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

nitefuzz

Post by nitefuzz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Just wondering what is the best LED out there now for our headlights. Over the last couple years the LED's have evolved some in their technology and I am hoping that many of wing riders out there have tried different ones and can pass their experience on to us so we can make good decisions on what to purchase. At this point I replaced my dim bulbs with Philips H7 X-tremeVision Upgrade Headlight Bulb with up to 100% More Vision, 2 Pack. I rode after dark last night and am very happy with how they lit up the road. I am feeling that these are hard to beat with the LED, however they are not very great for day time being seen (yellow and dim). I normally ride with my brights on during the day to be more visible for day time riding. From what I am finding out, the LED's are great for day time being the bright white (bright white) but at night they only light up the road a short distance and don't pierce down the roadway like Haligens do. Sounds like the best option is to go to is the HID's, if you want to spend the money and do the install time. The way I am feeling now is that the Haligen H7 bulbs have worked fine for my Wing for the last 9 years and I will just stay with them until I hear more info from everyone usin g the LED. Seems like all the manufacturers out there claim their LEDs are the best but that is because they want us to buy from them, I want to hear from who actually uses them and what they have decided.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:24 pm

I have used all the different bulbs - except HID -
The Extreme Vision bulbs burn out in a year for me as I ride a lot
The ones that last aren't too bright..
Brighter bulbs burn out sooner.
I think HIDs create heat when working ?
And DO nothing to lower energy needs from your electrical system...(think alternator)

FOR ME --

I run electrics in cool weather - I have a few extra power using items like a GPS and driving lights
In the Fall I like to have maximum light down the roadway for deer spotting
I changed to LEDs everywhere on my forward facing lights for these reasons:

LOTS of light
LOW power draw
LONGEVITY of service life
DayLIGHT white color
LOOKS bright during day time running

I really like my set-up - see the videos above for details and ask any questions you would like...

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm in the same catagory with Wingsconsin on LED headlights and current/voltage management of electrics on your bike.

I have used HID and they produce excellent light and reduce your current consumption. I used the 35 watt HID's.
But, they produce lots of heat and what I noticed was an increase in headlight lens internal fogging over a period of a couple years. On my GL1500, the reflector started to deteriorate above the bulb. I didn't see that with the GL1800. I also had multiple ballast failures on both bikes. Ballasts are cheap enough but a pain to have to replace them. The bulbs seemed to last quite a long time in comparison.
I have since changed to all LED headlights on both bikes.

LED technology has really advanced over the past few years and now you have many choices

These are two of the top runners for headlight systems in my estimation.
Made by SoCalMotoGear https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... /73/358810
Made by Electrical Connection https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... /73/302772
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:54 pm

I am also looking at LED headlights. But not sure on the quality of beam down the road

I've installed LED fog lights but that's more to be seen and will be installing LED auxiliary lights shortly.

For the rear I'm looking at superbright LED bulbs. They look the same as cyclemax.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:07 am

MikeB wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:17 pm
I'm in the same catagory with Wingsconsin on LED headlights and current/voltage management of electrics on your bike.

I have used HID and they produce excellent light and reduce your current consumption. I used the 35 watt HID's.
But, they produce lots of heat and what I noticed was an increase in headlight lens internal fogging over a period of a couple years. On my GL1500, the reflector started to deteriorate above the bulb. I didn't see that with the GL1800. I also had multiple ballast failures on both bikes. Ballasts are cheap enough but a pain to have to replace them. The bulbs seemed to last quite a long time in comparison.
I have since changed to all LED headlights on both bikes.

LED technology has really advanced over the past few years and now you have many choices

These are two of the top runners for headlight systems in my estimation.
Made by SoCalMotoGear https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... /73/358810
Made by Electrical Connection https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... /73/302772
HID lights, hands down, put out the most amount of light. They run hot, but nowhere near as hot as the OEM halogen bulbs. But what they do put out is a LOT of UV, which tends to deteriorate and fog plastic, as well as the reflector as MikeB experienced (I experienced the same). I did not have any ballast failures.

LED technology has progressed and continues to progress. What is available today is far better than what you could buy even a couple of years ago. The biggest problem with LEDs is heat - not heat damaging to your bike, but heat damaging to the LED. The LEDs make quite a bit of heat, and if they get too hot, they self-destruct. So they use different methods of getting the heat out of the LED - fixed radiating heat sinks, braided copper heat sinks, and fans are the three most common. I would not trust any LED with a fan, you're just asking for failure.

The best of the best is an LED with a projector lens, as it focuses the light exactly where you want it to go, and doesn't waste any of it off in directions you don't want it to go.

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 am

WingAdmin do you have any experience with superbright LED for DRL with turn signals in the front and run and brake lights in the rear?
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:07 pm

keithg64 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 am
WingAdmin do you have any experience with superbright LED for DRL with turn signals in the front and run and brake lights in the rear?
I put a set of these Superbright driving LEDs on my wife's bike. They are pretty bright and impressive.

But nowhere near as good as these Superbright LEDs which are now on my GL1500.

nitefuzz

Post by nitefuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 pm

I changed out all of my tail lights, brake lights and turn signals to LED superbrights. The turn signal LED's I found with built in resistors and it stopped the hyper flash, didn't have to change my flasher to an LED flasher, I am very happy with the back of my wing. I have had many comments on how visible I am from the rear.

This is the LED bulbs I put in the rear turn signals: SiriusLED 7440 Anti Hyper Flash Built-in load resistor True 25W Amber Extremely Bright LED Bulb for Turn Signal (Do not use on position other than turn signal) 7440A T20 W21W Pack of 2. these should only be used for turn signals, they have resistors built in to eliminate the hyper flash. The resistors will create heat but the turn signals don't flash long enough to cause any concern. If you use them anywhere else that stays on all the time they will over heat and cause damage. I have had mine in now for the last 5000 miles and have had no problems, they are amazing how bright they are.