intercom advice

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Ken Scourse
Motorcycle: 2003 goldwing 1800 A

intercom advice

Post by Ken Scourse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 am

Hello All
I am looking for some advice on an intercom for my 2003 GL1800.
Should I go with the 5 pin built in system from J&M or leave the built-in system alone and go to alternate system like a scala.
My goal is to have passenger/passenger intercom as well as listen to my GPS either phone GPS or an add-on GPS and maybe even make and receive calls in an emergency

Thoughts?

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: intercom advice

Post by baumedagn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:43 pm

I just converted my 2012 to bluetooth with the Sena 20S and Freewire. Everything works better than I anticipated. On windy days, we just shut the intercom off and there is no background noise at all. To re-connect, all either the rider or passenger has to do is tap a button. GPS and CB function the same as if you had a corded system and people can't tell we're on the bike when they call on the phone. The only thing, you can't use the bike's intercom system. It creates an echo that renders it useless.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:12 am

I started out with a corded system from a well known manufacturer. It was ok but I always worried about the cords.

The wife upgraded to a sena 20s in each of our helmets and have never regretted it. And if we want to ride a different bike we take it with us. I listen to my own music from my phone. Navigate from it too.
And talk to my riding buddies that have it too ( three others so far). I don't miss the radio from the bike as the sena has a fm receiver built in.

Both systems are similarly priced too.

Ride safe
Scooter

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am

I'm old school but I like the wired system. with the wireless you have to remember to charge them. If you use a CB you cam only pair wireless to a couple units.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Ken Scourse
Motorcycle: 2003 goldwing 1800 A

Post by Ken Scourse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 am

Done a fair bit of research ....lots of forum talk and have come to the conclusion that wired is better for my needs.
You state it perfectly...
Have been using the wired OEM system for a week now and I am impressed.