Braided Steel Brake and Clutch Hoses

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
mrbreeze
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Braided Steel Brake and Clutch Hoses

Post by mrbreeze » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am

Has anyone switched to braided stainless steel brake and clutch lines? My bike is a 2012, so I am thinking it may be getting about time for new lines. Where did you get yours? Any recommendations or advice appreciated.

Thanks

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Braided Steel Brake and Clutch Hoses

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:44 am

Why are you thinking yours need replaced ???

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am

I was wondering the same thing. My wing is a 2009 and the lines seem to be still fine. I will admit that braided lines always look nicer than just plain black, but the time and effort to replace them seems to me to be best when it is time to flush the complete brake and clutch system again, in about two years, if they show signs of cracking. I did the flushes this spring, in May, and inspected the brake and clutch lines and there were no cracks at all. If I lived in the Southwest, like West Texas, New Mexico or Arizona where it is hot and dry, I might do a more rigorous inspection, like bending and twisting the lines to see if I could find any tiny cracks, but where I live it takes years and years for the climate to bother brake lines, even on cars.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

mrbreeze
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Post by mrbreeze » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am

The lines are going on 7 years old. I believe the recommendation for replacement is 4 years (it was 4 years on my Concours, not sure what Honda says). The lines will get soft and expand a bit as they get older, reducing braking performance. I found myself in a panic braking situation the other day, and the bike did not stop as fast as I needed it to, or as fast as I thought it would. I would have hit a Chevy Tahoe in the rear, and had to take to the oncoming lane to avoid it. I stopped even with his FRONT fender. That would have been a serious impact.

I am wondering what I could have done better to avoid that situation, and if the bike performed like it should have. The brake pads only have about 3000 miles on them. The fluid is dark and needs to be changed anyway.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:40 pm

You have a point, and a very important one that I had not thought of. I am going to have a look at my brake lines for softness. Changing your brake fluid may do enough for you, but if you are going to change the brake lines anyway, that would the the time to do it. I have never heard of changing brake lines every four years, and I am a qualified hydraulics mechanic. (a Millwright actually). I cannot imagine if every vehicle including Cats and John Deeres with lots of hydraulics had to have their hoses and lines changed every four years. I do know that it is not being done.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

sr71cbx
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda CBX (turbocharged)
2004 GL1800 Gold Wing

Post by sr71cbx » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:47 am

I bleed out the brake and clutch systems on my 04 Wing about every 2 years or thereabouts. I do this with all my bikes and it pays off nicely. For example, my '79 CBX turbo bike still has the original Honda master cylinders on it.......keeping fluids changed over the years has kept it in great working order. This bike DOES need good brakes, have upgraded to twin piston front calipers front and rear, bike will darn near do a stoppie under hard braking.
I always use DOT 4 fluid, gives a slightly firmer lever/pedal feel. No drastic need for braided steel lines on my Wing, although, if someone had a line set made up, I'd look into purchasing it.
04 GL1800
79 Honda CBX turbo
12 Dodge Challenger R/T
02 beater Toyota pickup
94 Chevy Suburban HD 4x4
67 Plymouth Cuda FB

cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:23 am

Are you planning on changing all the rubber lines from the master cylinders to the calipers completely? They are all rubber, so all would age the same.
What about the lines for the clutch.
And remember, the stainless lines you put on are still rubber under the braid.
Just seems like a waste of money and time to me.
I also have a 2012 and I see no cracks and the rubber is not chalky.