Shocks


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
TunaWing
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:44 pm
Location: Gilroy, California
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
2001 CBR929RR
2007 GL1800 Goldwing

Shocks

Post by TunaWing » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:40 pm



I’ve been commuting on a Goldwing to work for the past 15 years in the Bay Area. Upgrade four years ago to a 2007 GL1800 from an ‘84 GL1100. Retired it when it flipped 200k.

Shocks are always a question. Is there a solution for not bottoming out when riding double? Max’ed out air. I understand I am big. Over 250 and my wife is not as skinny as she used to be, but muchsmaller than myself. Do I just need shocks or is there an aftermarket?

Thanks,
TunaWing



DaveO430
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Shocks

Post by DaveO430 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:35 pm

A set of aftermarket springs should do the trick.

User avatar
Wingsconsin
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin (West of Milwaukee)
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red
Contact:

Re: Shocks

Post by Wingsconsin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am

TunaWing wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:40 pm
I’ve been commuting on a Goldwing to work for the past 15 years in the Bay Area. Upgrade four years ago to a 2007 GL1800 from an ‘84 GL1100. Retired it when it flipped 200k.

Shocks are always a question. Is there a solution for not bottoming out when riding double? Max’ed out air. I understand I am big. Over 250 and my wife is not as skinny as she used to be, but much smaller than myself. Do I just need shocks or is there an aftermarket?

Thanks,
TunaWing
Opinion follows: My understanding is thus--
Some things are different on the 1800 than the 1200 or 1500 -
The rear shock has 'pre-load' which is not air - the pre-load adds tension to the spring to help avoid the bottom out
The pre-load is assisted by hydraulics and these reservoirs are notoriously under-filled at the factory.
There is a method of filling them - Google Gl1800 actuator (hint: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm)
Most of us run them near the largest number - I run 270LBS and run it at 22 single and 25 two-up

Aftermarket springs are greatly helpful on the rear - Progressives - Traxxion - others ?

Progressive Monotubes seem to be the best choice ($$) affordability bang for the buck -
Other options exist - (Traxxion , et al) but if you are not a canyon caarving peg scraping demon on 2 wheels probably the Monotubes will suffice.

Opinions expressed are to the best of my ability - sharing knowledge ;)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.


Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

User avatar
jackjohn
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Richmond, TX
Motorcycle: 1974 CB450 Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1982 GL1100I
2004 GL1800A Sold
2012 GL1800

Re: Shocks

Post by jackjohn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 am

The GL1800 is sorely lacking in the suspension department. Last year I replaced the rear shock with a trike take-off ($) with almost zero miles. This year I rebuilt the forks with Progressive Monos ($$). Wish I had done both ends three or four years ago.

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Shocks

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am

Wingsconsin wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am
TunaWing wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:40 pm
I’ve been commuting on a Goldwing to work for the past 15 years in the Bay Area. Upgrade four years ago to a 2007 GL1800 from an ‘84 GL1100. Retired it when it flipped 200k.

Shocks are always a question. Is there a solution for not bottoming out when riding double? Max’ed out air. I understand I am big. Over 250 and my wife is not as skinny as she used to be, but much smaller than myself. Do I just need shocks or is there an aftermarket?

Thanks,
TunaWing
Opinion follows: My understanding is thus--
Some things are different on the 1800 than the 1200 or 1500 -
The rear shock has 'pre-load' which is not air - the pre-load adds tension to the spring to help avoid the bottom out
The pre-load is assisted by hydraulics and these reservoirs are notoriously under-filled at the factory.
There is a method of filling them - Google Gl1800 actuator (hint: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm)
Most of us run them near the largest number - I run 270LBS and run it at 22 single and 25 two-up

Aftermarket springs are greatly helpful on the rear - Progressives - Traxxion - others ?

Progressive Monotubes seem to be the best choice ($$) affordability bang for the buck -
Other options exist - (Traxxion , et al) but if you are not a canyon caarving peg scraping demon on 2 wheels probably the Monotubes will suffice.

Opinions expressed are to the best of my ability - sharing knowledge ;)
When I bought my ex-2008 1800, I researched the internet forums for information regarding the 1800 and what I could expect for maintenance/work. Two issues that topped the list of issues were tire longevity and suspension. The suspension issue was because of the difference in what each front fork did and the weak/soft OEM suspension after only some 30,000 to 50,000 miles. As Wingsconsin mentions, the hydraulic fluid in the rear shock was also commented on.

I agree with Wingsconsin in that a suspension upgrade is the answer. Progressive front monotubes - saw the Youtube and it looks very straight forward and can be done next fork oil change/refurb, easier than the Traxion (had the Traxion on my ex-1800). The rear shock can either be a complete unit or just replace the spring. This upgrade will improve the ride quality and handling, and tire longevity.

Just another opinion.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
Rednaxs60
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Shocks

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 am

jackjohn wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 am
The GL1800 is sorely lacking in the suspension department. Last year I replaced the rear shock with a trike take-off ($) with almost zero miles. This year I rebuilt the forks with Progressive Monos ($$). Wish I had done both ends three or four years ago.
Agree wholeheartedly. Understand the OEM cost benefit issue as well. Always comes down to money - keep the price of the product as low as possible and at the same time give the best product possible - catch 22.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19413
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Shocks

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Also remember that one of the early wear items of the GL1800 is the hose that goes between the rear suspension adjustment unit and the rear shock. This hose is under constant pressure, and Honda cheaped out and used simple rubber hose for it. It wears out and swells, the result being that you have to crank the preload up higher and higher to get the same result.

There are aftermarket braided lines that can be used to replace this, and eliminate this problem for good:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... ine/162955

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Shocks

Post by cihilb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:07 am

When adjusting the rear pre-load setting, set it to "0" and then try setting it to "25". Listen for when ti starts to labor. You will hear a distinct change in the sound. Should change right at 1 or 2 on the display. If not, it may need the fluid topped off in the rear shock pre-load adjuster. Part of this is due to the expansion of the hose, but once refilled it will be fine.
Many threads on how to refill the adjuster.



Post Reply