Fog Light Harness

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingrider73
Motorcycle: 2016 Audio Comfort Gl1800 Goldwing

Fog Light Harness

Post by Wingrider73 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello all:
Woe is me!!
I installed a 2003 fog light kit onto my 2016 a couple days ago. Everything went as instructed UNTIL i got to the last step in the instruction manual. It said to find the conector between the fog light switch to the power supply harness coming from the bike (2016). Could be found in a plastic shroud underneath the left storage box. Nooooooooo!!!! Apparently the wiring harness was changed in the 2015 models?

So disappointed - all that work. Already cut out the cowl for the lights themselves so can't remove them unless i want to see two blank holes.
BIG Question - does anyone know of a converter connection or perhaps a replacement sub-harness? The connection that is supposed to connect to the bike is square and the only ones I can find on the bike are flat.

Any and all help appreciated...

Riding on a PRAYER and a Wing - praising God all the way!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Fog Light Harness

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 am

Maybe try contacting Electrical Connection and see if they can help you out. They know their stuff.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 am

Wingrider73 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 pm
Hello all:
Woe is me!!
I installed a 2003 fog light kit onto my 2016 a couple days ago. Everything went as instructed UNTIL i got to the last step in the instruction manual. It said to find the conector between the fog light switch to the power supply harness coming from the bike (2016). Could be found in a plastic shroud underneath the left storage box. Nooooooooo!!!! Apparently the wiring harness was changed in the 2015 models?

So disappointed - all that work. Already cut out the cowl for the lights themselves so can't remove them unless i want to see two blank holes.
BIG Question - does anyone know of a converter connection or perhaps a replacement sub-harness? The connection that is supposed to connect to the bike is square and the only ones I can find on the bike are flat.

Any and all help appreciated...

IMG_0373.JPG
The connector you need is there, but not really in the left storage pocket area, It is in the harness below that storage compartment, more like behind the radio control panel, mine was actually a bit further down than that. It is very well hidden , I thought the same thing as you when I went to modify my fog light system on my 2013. It took me a bit of digging around in that area looking for that large shroud cover, the connector is up inside the rubber boot (shroud).
Happy hunting.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

Wingrider73

Post by Wingrider73 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks. I will look harder this morning. All the videos i could find about the installation showed the connector i needed to be there.
James

M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 am

James,

I am sure it is there.

On another subject, didn't I build you an adapter harness for your trailer you were have trouble with about a year ago?
Did you ever get that all worked out?
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

Wingrider73

Post by Wingrider73 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Yes you did build a harness. In my ignorance to the wiring on the Goldwing I proceeded to burn it up. Got so hot couldn't hold it. My fault. Learned a lesson.
Subsequently traded the 2005 on a new out of box 2016. Matte silver finish looks really great. I insisted on a trailer hitch and wiring on the new one or no trade. Dealer did that at no cost to me so i am good to go. Put on most of the stuff I salvaged off the 2005 and made the new one mine. Now to add miles as fast as I can!!

SUCCESS with the fog lights. After several suggestions from this site I finally located the correct plug way down in the bottom behind the switch panel. So happy!

Thanks for all the advice

M61A1MECH

Post by M61A1MECH » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Well good to hear you found the connector, they really bury in there for some reason.
Good looking bike you have now, stay safe.

Steve K
Edgewater, FL