rear suspension preload display issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
AwesomeAndy
Motorcycle: 2014 Honda Goldwing GL1800

rear suspension preload display issue

Post by AwesomeAndy »

While getting the bike ready for the first of a summer 2018 ride I noticed the visual display read-out for the preload setting went haywire. Only just touched the raise button and it went from 0-25 instantly without the actuator motor really even working. I pressed the butten several times from raising to lowering and the display showed numbers all over the place, not the usual steady slow rise and fall of the numbers on the display as it goes from 0 to 25 and back again. In the end it went into '"ERROR PRELOAD ADJUST" where I had to turn the key off wait a minute then turn it back on to clear the display error and try again. Again the same results. Never had this problem before. The bike had been sitting for 4-5 months on the centre stand over the winter period in the garage on a battery tender. I did eventually take the bike for a run to the bike shop (20km away) and told them the issue, they put the bike on a diagnostic check to fault find but found nothing, they had no answer. I took it back home, still the same error message comes up, preload visual display changes too quickly to what the pump is doing. Pump makes all the right sounds of being loaded and unloaded but unable to know what level the preload stops at (memo1 and memo2 do not seem to work as well). Have now pulled the rear right saddle bag off, checked all connections to the actuator motor are clean and sound, did the same on the dash button connections, no issues found. Bit lost now on whether I should pull the pump apart or be checking something else first before I continue down the strip pump road.
I did wonder if the pump/piston may have siezed during the winter layover but having heard the pump (even when faulting) it does appear to be operating somewhat. Could the battery be slowly dying, it does appear to start the bike well and with the testing of the pump/preload I have had the battery on a tender plus put the key into ACC although the bike is now 4-5 years old?
The bike is a 2014 GL1800, has 19000km on the clock and is well maintenained until this issue cropped up, I live in New Zealand.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed.
Regards Andrew

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: rear suspension preload display issue

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

With the key off, try disconnecting and re-connecting the connector to the suspension control buttons. On a US Wing, that connector sits under the cover that the suspension buttons are in. FYI ... your issue is probably not a pump issue.

- remove right trim strip
- remove right panel cover
- follow wires to the connector
AwesomeAndy

Post by AwesomeAndy »

Hi Goldwingrgreg,
Thanks for your reply, I have tried that and no difference and I agree with you that i also don't beleive its the pump. I'll video it tonight after work and try to post-it to this post and se if that helps.
Regards Andrew
AwesomeAndy

Post by AwesomeAndy »

Hi, as promised I have loaded up a short video in youtube showing the issue, you will be able to find it under this title: 2014 GL1800 Preload Display Fault Issue - Oct18 or

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Cheers Andrew
keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

Great video, thank you.
I have an 07 so that's my experience. But I dont think your pump runs long enough to be at the 25 when it jumps like that. For the earlier models I believe that Honda purposely did not have the pumps full of oil for what ever reason and this could be the case for you. Adding oil and or change the oil is not a hard job since you are there anyway. For me it was just finding the oil was the hardest. My local honda shop didn't have it on hand at the time I wanted to do it.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.
AwesomeAndy

Post by AwesomeAndy »

Hi Keith64,
Thanks for your advise, others have also suggested that maybe the oil is low. While I didn't really want to play with the pump it appears i may have too. Did you eventually get the oil you wanted and what was the type?, I heard fork oil or hydrulic oil is suitable, also did it fix the problem for you?
Regards Andrew
keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

Yes it fixed my problem. And my problem was the suspension not adjusting when it should have. The suspension would start to move around the 8-10 range.Which brings up a good question for your bike. Can you tell if the suspension is moving at all. It should be adjusting your ride height when it's on the side stand. I used honda fork oil 5wt.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.
AwesomeAndy

Post by AwesomeAndy »

I didn't really notice any height/ride difference when off the stand so your advise to top up might be the right one. I'll check with our local dealer on the fork oil 5wt. Stay tuned, I'll do another video on the weekend when I attack the pump.
DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 »

I would say it is probably what Honda calls the suspension level actuator angle switch, a long name for a simple potentiometer (the sensor on the side of the pump motor). Since you can't buy it separately and they are plentiful as complete units from trike conversions, just get another whole pump. It sounds like yours needs fluid anyway.
AwesomeAndy

Post by AwesomeAndy »

Hi Dave0403,
Many thanks for your response, and I think you maybe right. What I intend to do is remove the pump unit, clean and check on fluid level/air lock and top up and retry. If still no improvement then a consideration maybe to relace the unit as you suggest but first I'll try the basics before shelling out the big dollars.
Regards andrew