Low Beams not working


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
stan0614
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:47 am
Location: Villa Rica, GA
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GL1800

Low Beams not working

Post by stan0614 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:16 pm



2015 Goldwing GL1800 -

I MAY have left my trunk light on - not sure - but something completely drained the battery.

Anyway- left the battery tender on the bike for a couple of days and the battery is back up to charge - bike cranks and all works except the low beam headlights. I checked the fuses and they looked good. ( 15AMP ). Even replaced the fuse. High beams work fine as well as the tail and brake lights and blinkers. Bike seems fine after a 150 mile ride Sunday. Cranked well after every stop.

I'll go out and get some replacement low beam bulbs, but before I do - does anyone know
1) Do both bulbs usually go out at the same time? that seems strange.
2) Perhaps it was a coincidence - but seems strange a low battery would blow the bulbs if that's what happened.
3) What is a good way to detect an unknown power drain ?

Thanks, Stan



User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Rule out everything first...Does this bike have a separate relay for the high and low beam like the 1500 has?If it does,swap them and look again.

User avatar
M61A1MECH
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 pm
Location: Edgewater, Florida
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by M61A1MECH » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:55 pm

stan0614 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:16 pm
2015 Goldwing GL1800 -
does anyone know
1) Do both bulbs usually go out at the same time? that seems strange.
Thanks, Stan
Well I can tell you that I have replaced the low beams on my 2013 twice now and yes they both went out at the same time, also this has been reported numerous times over on the GL1800Riders forum.
The last time I installed LEDs, hope they last longer than the two to three years I got from the OEM type.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

stan0614
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:47 am
Location: Villa Rica, GA
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GL1800

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by stan0614 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:57 pm

THANKS for the answer about both going out at the same time.

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:50 am

Do you have a volt meter? If so check the bulbs for continuity, before just chucking them.

Rockdog
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 pm
Location: Newberg,OR
Motorcycle: 2002 honda goldwing gl1800.... 1978 gl1000

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by Rockdog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Interesting.... mine went out overnight. Worked fine the day before then didn't work the next morning.stuck my hand in and wiggled the wires..they started working again just fine.....loose connection maybe?

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Play Sherlock Holmes and look for clues as too why.....

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer and fall Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by newday777 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:28 am

When one goes out you don't notice, especially if riding in daylight. Once the second bulb burns out, that's when you say, hmmm both bulbs burned out???
The extra power to the second bulb, along with the cycled life expended(on off cycles), the 2nd bulb burns out very soon after the first burns out.

Get the Electrical Connections low beam cutout that keeps low beam off until the oil pressure is up. This saves bulb life by reducing the off, on (when key is turned on) then off again when you hit the starter button, then on again when you release the starter button cycleing. Turning on light bulbs is the hardest jolt to bulb life.
This taps into your oil pressure switch(near oil filter) and the low beam relay(under seat). Well worth the $17. Saves the time and hand gouging changing headlight bulbs.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... 120/125827

Also highly recommend getting LED headlight bulbs to see better and be seen by cagers(if they have their eyes and mind open and focused on driving). See Wingadmins reviews under product reviews.

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 am

newday777 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:28 am
When one goes out you don't notice, especially if riding in daylight. Once the second bulb burns out, that's when you say, hmmm both bulbs burned out???
The extra power to the second bulb, along with the cycled life expended(on off cycles), the 2nd bulb burns out very soon after the first burns out.

Get the Electrical Connections low beam cutout that keeps low beam off until the oil pressure is up. This saves bulb life by reducing the off, on (when key is turned on) then off again when you hit the starter button, then on again when you release the starter button cycleing. Turning on light bulbs is the hardest jolt to bulb life.
This taps into your oil pressure switch(near oil filter) and the low beam relay(under seat). Well worth the $17. Saves the time and hand gouging changing headlight bulbs.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... 120/125827

Also highly recommend getting LED headlight bulbs to see better and be seen by cagers(if they have their eyes and mind open and focused on driving). See Wingadmins reviews under product reviews.
Or just upgrade to the Electrical connection LED headlight bulbs. I did and they are great!

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer and fall Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by newday777 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:34 am

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 am
newday777 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:28 am
When one goes out you don't notice, especially if riding in daylight. Once the second bulb burns out, that's when you say, hmmm both bulbs burned out???
The extra power to the second bulb, along with the cycled life expended(on off cycles), the 2nd bulb burns out very soon after the first burns out.

Get the Electrical Connections low beam cutout that keeps low beam off until the oil pressure is up. This saves bulb life by reducing the off, on (when key is turned on) then off again when you hit the starter button, then on again when you release the starter button cycleing. Turning on light bulbs is the hardest jolt to bulb life.
This taps into your oil pressure switch(near oil filter) and the low beam relay(under seat). Well worth the $17. Saves the time and hand gouging changing headlight bulbs.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800 ... 120/125827

Also highly recommend getting LED headlight bulbs to see better and be seen by cagers(if they have their eyes and mind open and focused on driving). See Wingadmins reviews under product reviews.
Or just upgrade to the Electrical connection LED headlight bulbs. I did and they are great!
I already did 2 years ago....

soulwinger
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:58 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 2017 GL1800ABS

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by soulwinger » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 am

I know it's been a few months and you probably already have this fixed :D But for others who may have this issue...it is the starter switch causing this. When the starter switch is released, the contacts to the lights are either dirty or not engaging fully. Usually, cleaning the starter switch contacts resolves this issue.

Regards,
Lou

User avatar
Lee_M
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:41 am
Location: Uniontown,Pa USA
Motorcycle: 03 GL 1800

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by Lee_M » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:03 am

I found that it was in my ignition switch on my 01

User avatar
nitefuzz
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Wakarusa, Indiana
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 HPN, April 24, 2017

Re: Low Beams not working

Post by nitefuzz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 pm

my 2009 lost both of the dims at the same time...………. I looked into everything before I just purchased two more dim bulbs and that was all it was. The dims are on all the time when the bike is running, they get hot and if you hit a pot hole like we have here in northern Indiana, there goes your dims.

Nitfuzz



Post Reply