Brake Switch

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
novatz
Motorcycle: 2015 Gold Wing
2010 Gold Wing
2005 Gold Wing
1999 Gold Wing

Brake Switch

Post by novatz »

Just had new brakes put on bike (2010 1800). I have a inspection routine before I leave the lot to ensure everything is working. One of those steps is to check the brake lights - both via the hand lever and the foot lever.

Foot lever initially worked but the hand lever - brake lights did not come on. Was told it was probably the switch - "they sometimes go" without notice. My '05 wing with 150k miles never had a problem.

In any event, I have become increasingly unhappy with the service at this location since they have lost their red-certified mechanic.

So the question - is there the possibility they neglected to plug in a wire after changing the tires and brakes? The brakes actually work - just not the lights.

And today I noticed the foot brakes - again while working - were not blinking the lights.

Thanks in advance.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Brake Switch

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

If SB-23 was done, they probably didn't adjust the rear brake light switch correctly. It might have been done and you not know. It's also possible that SB-23 was done at another time, the switch not adjusted correctly then, and now if you have a higher rear brake peddle, you may not be able to push the peddle down far enough to activate the rear brake light switch. It is also possibly that the switch is bad.

To see SB-23, go here.
http://www.justwings.com/uploads/SB-23_ ... cement.pdf

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Re: Brake Switch

Post by mterraci »

I bought an '07 wing 2 years ago, noticed after a few days the hand lever was not always making the brake lights come on. Had the switch changed out while I was buying tires; only charged me 10 bucks for putting in a new switch. No more problems. I'm told it's a common issue on the wings.