Intercom and radio through the helmet headset.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Bob Doiron
Motorcycle: 2005 1800

Intercom and radio through the helmet headset.

Post by Bob Doiron »

I am looking at buying a 2005 1800. I has been about 15 years since i have ridden a Wing. I went to test the I/C but was unable to get sound through the helmet earphones. Is there a 'trick' to doing this? Generally speaking is there a common problem with this? is it likely to be an expensive fix? I have not checked for a blown fuse. Where are the fuses located?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bob

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Re: Intercom and radio through the helmet headset.

Post by Mountain rider »

A couple simple things to look at first. Press the volume knob once and verify the Intercom volume is turned up and not muted. Look at the audio control panel and press the intercom button to verify it's in the on mode. As to fuses, there should be a fuse panel possibly under the left side cover or under the seat. Good luck and welcome aboard.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
Bob Doiron
Motorcycle: 2005 1800

Post by Bob Doiron »

Thanks Mountain Rider. Much appreciated.
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

No problem, hope that works out for you. I ride an 03 and just went out to verify any other things to check. With the bike running, push the intercom button on the audio control panel. An icon for the intercom should appear on the dash screen. Pushing the volume button once and turning the knob, will increase or decrease the intercom volume. Pushing the volume control knob twice allows you to adjust the intercom mute. Verify the cable connections on the helmet and helmet to the bike are correct and solid. A loose cable connection will leave you talking to yourself. As for the radio, the same thing applies. Push the AM/FM1/FM2 buttons so the symbol appears on the screen, then turn the tuning knob to find a station. Pushing the tuning knob multiple times will take you through a menu for the radio as well. Pressing the audio button should switch between the headset and the external speakers when listening to the radio.

SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired