New Battery

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

New Battery

Post by mterraci »

I'm not a great mechanic by any means; I do change my oil &filter and rear gear oil. Today I managed to change the battery. Not hard at all, but I'm grateful to this forum for all for all of the advice and support. I was able to find enough information to choose a good battery and get it installed without so much as a hitch. Put the Deltran Junior back on it, it's plugged up, fully charged, and ready to go (I always keep it plugged in when in the garage).

I assume I'm going to lose my preset radio stations, etc. Anything else I'm not aware of???

Thanks again to Goldwing Docs for all of the information and support. Makes owning a Goldwing a lot less stressful.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: New Battery

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

As for pre-sets, every year is a little different regarding what is saved/not-saved. Be sure the battery you installed is a 18amp/hr ... nothing more, nothing less.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Okay, I understand the nothing less than 18 APH, Greg, but why would the nothing "more" than 18 be in question. I have been putting larger amps per hour batteries in vehicles, including motorcycles, my entire life (live in a cold climate in winter). What is so different about a GL1800 that this is not acceptable? Or have I been screwing up my entire life :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

The new battery I put in says 20 APH; it also has 400 CCA.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

themainviking wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:35 am
Okay, I understand the nothing less than 18 APH, Greg, but why would the nothing "more" than 18 be in question. I have been putting larger amps per hour batteries in vehicles, including motorcycles, my entire life (live in a cold climate in winter). What is so different about a GL1800 that this is not acceptable? Or have I been screwing up my entire life :lol:
nope, you have been "doing it right".

I always go for 'more aph' because the battery life will be longer.
and if you are in a cold climate, it needs to be twice as big to give the same starting amps as it would at 70°F

"more amps" capability is just that, nothing more.
Volts is the equivalent of "water pressure" and is what makes things turn ( providing the amps are available )

a simple little example.
I have a very small air compressor, rated at 150 psi.
installed Monroe Air Shocks on my Suburban to help with hauling a very heavy trailer.
the RV battery was a tad bit down, at 12.3 VDC, and the little compressor struggled to get the shocks up to 60 psi.

after a week's stay at a camp, and having released the air out of the shocks so the truck could be used for normal bounce free travel, needed to air them up to move the trailer again.
This time, the RV Battery was still on charge at 14.3 VDC, and the little air compressor zipped right up to 80 psi w/o any problem, did not even slow down.

The amps available were the same at 1000 CCA, but the pressure to do the job was not there the first time. 14.3-14.6 makes a motor hum, 12.1-12.3 just enables it to turn a little bit.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc