Strange electrical issue.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
MotoPhoto
Motorcycle: 2017 GL1800

Strange electrical issue.

Post by MotoPhoto »

Morning all, I need some help with my 2017 GL1800.
Washed the bike after a ride on 04/07, then it would not start for 2 days, then fired up like there was never a problem.
Washed the bike again after a ride on 04/21, then the brake lights would not turn off. Since the brakes lights were on the cruise control also would not work, this went on for 2 days then the brake lights and cruise control started working as expected. The cruise control was working on the ride.
Then this morning leaving for work the bike would not start.
All switches are in the correct positions, all lights come on, fuel pump cycles, side stand up, bike in neutral. Hit the starter switch, lights dim/go off as they always do, nothing. Checked all the switches, cycled the key and side stand, also put the bike in gear then back to neutral, same thing.
Bike is new bought new in February of this year so it is under warranty.
The problem is the Honda dealer where I live has not worked on a Goldwing since 2012 and they are not comfortable with working on the electrical on it. At least he was honest and let me know in advance.
Any other Honda dealer is 80 to 300 miles from where I live. I really do not want to have trailer the bike to get it worked on.
I am planning my first IBA run on 05/09, and worried that I may run into issues.

Any info that would help locate the issue would be appreciated.

MotoPhoto

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Strange electoral issue.

Post by tamathumper »

Based on the title, I expected another political thread, but I'm glad to see it's not. Lord knows we have plenty of strange electoral issues, though.

I'd say quit washing it...

Based on all the problems being related to the right grip, do you have a problem with water getting into the switch module up there? It would possibly short the kill switch, and the cruise switch, and the starter button, and the reverse, and maybe even the microswitch for the brake lights. That'd cause all sorts of gremlins.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2

MotoPhoto
Motorcycle: 2017 GL1800

Post by MotoPhoto »

Thanks for the reply, it was supposed to be Strange electrical issue, darn fat fingers.
I was thinking that it was something on the right switch, just do not have enough exposer to the GL 1800 yet.
MotoPhoto

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci »

I use the Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish instead of washing mine. Have been very happy with it. 1 can will clean a Goldwing several times.