Parts - best place to purchase

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
novatz
Motorcycle: 2015 Gold Wing
2010 Gold Wing
2005 Gold Wing
1999 Gold Wing

Parts - best place to purchase

Post by novatz »

Had a mis-hap. Left turn lane light turned yellow, guy in front of me hesitated then hit his brakes. I had anticipated he was going through since probably 3 - 4 cars would have made it. But he was an "old" guy.

In any event, put a crack in my front fender. Guess my trailer I was pulling didn't help. He only got a bit of the chrome trim I had put on - about two inches.

Two choices - new fender or get the crack fixed.

Want to look up my options on new.

Thanks.

Warning - Florida has an absolute ton of old folks, especially ones with the handicap sticker on the plate. Actually - he was only 78 (I'm 80) but he was old in so many, many ways - no email, no text, flip phone.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Parts - best place to purchase

Post by tamathumper »

I've searched Straightwings, Fallen Cycles, and Goldwing Parts King for used replacement parts.

I haven't tried the vendor database yet - /Vendors/
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
cihilb
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Post by cihilb »

novatz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:37 pm Had a mis-hap. Left turn lane light turned yellow, guy in front of me hesitated then hit his brakes. I had anticipated he was going through since probably 3 - 4 cars would have made it. But he was an "old" guy.

In any event, put a crack in my front fender. Guess my trailer I was pulling didn't help. He only got a bit of the chrome trim I had put on - about two inches.

Two choices - new fender or get the crack fixed.

Want to look up my options on new.

Thanks.

Warning - Florida has an absolute ton of old folks, especially ones with the handicap sticker on the plate. Actually - he was only 78 (I'm 80) but he was old in so many, many ways - no email, no text, flip phone.
First, never assume someone is going to go through the yellow light. Too late now, but I do not trust anyone.
Repairing the fender would require a body shop or someone familiar with repairing plastic. The you would have to hope they can closely match the paint.
The new fender is not CHEAP, but it would match.
You don't state the year, or color, but another option would be to search for the fender online (ebay), but again, again you would be taking a chance on the condition.
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

You might check Fallen Cycles, they're in Florida and have a fair selection. Not sure if they'd have the correct color for you. Another place to check is Partzilla. These are new parts, but can be ordered in the correct color for your bike. Good luck and ride safe.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

You don't state the year, or color, but another option would be to search for the fender online (ebay), but again, again you would be taking a chance on the condition.
If you look at the right side of his post you will see it is a 2010 wing, but color is not stated
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

If it is the front 1/2 of the fender it is about $250.00 from ronayers.com. you probably couldn't get the old one fixed and repainted any cheaper.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
novatz
2010 Gold Wing
2005 Gold Wing
1999 Gold Wing

Post by novatz »

Yes - 2010 Wing, black. But it is the metallic black with glitter in it. Body shop that painted my "grocery cart" trailer to match said the spit could not be repaired.

It looked like I could order a new 1/2 fender for about $100 but that would then need to be painted I'll first look to see if I can find an already painted one.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Have you tried a dealership parts counter to see if they can order your exact replacement part, including your color? I do know you can get mirrors that way, color matched to the bike you have. Some parts have become obsolete and are therefore only an after market or wrecking yard availability, but dealerships can order some of the tupperware.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

novatz
2010 Gold Wing
2005 Gold Wing
1999 Gold Wing

Post by novatz »

Thanks all - I did finally go through original parts getting a true fender, matched to the applicable color. The shipping cost was a bit amazing but overall, total was about what it would have cost me to get a generic fender and have it painted (already had an estimate for that).