Taillights won't turn off

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Taillights won't turn off

Post by dtrider »

We are on the last night of a ten day trip and as I'm getting the luggage out to check in to the hotel I notice that my taillights are on. At first I thought I had left the key turned on, but no, the key is in my pocket. What the heck?

These are the Kuryakan after market lights on the trunk and saddlebags that the previous owner added.

I would up pulling the stop light fuse to get them to turn off so that I don't come out to a dead battery in the morning. When I get home I'll have to dig in to it to find out what is going on. Any suggestions on where to start?

/dwight

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Taillights won't turn off

Post by DaveO430 »

Is it the stop lights or the tail lights? Probably a stuck relay in either case.

dtrider

Post by dtrider »

I pulled the stop light fuse to get them turned off, but these were the extra taillights that were on. I'll have to go put the fuse back in later and take another photo to show exactly which lights are involved. But I think you are right. I probably have a relay that is stuck.

/dwight

dtrider

Post by dtrider »

Here are the lights that are involved. Pulling the fuse labeled Stop Lights turns then off. When I get home I'll take the seat of and take a look at the relays and see what I can find.
/dwight

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If your stop light relay sticks on, it will cause this:

Stop light relay
Stop light relay

Give it a sharp rap with the handle of a screwdriver. If the lights go out, then that's your problem. Either way, you should likely replace that relay.

dtrider

Post by dtrider »

Well I came out this morning and put the fuse back in for the trip home, and the lights did not come on. The did come on when I turned on the bike and everything seems to be working fine, so I guess the rely released during the night. I'm still going to replace it just to be on the safe side though. I really don't want to come out to find that it stuck again without me noticing and draining the battery.

Thanks WA effort pointing out which one it is. That will make the process easier.

/dwight