Fuel injectors cleaning?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
fastback40
Motorcycle: 1995 goldwing

Fuel injectors cleaning?

Post by fastback40 »

I'm looking at buying an 06 and at idle it surges not rough but not even either. I told the seller that I'm not trying to beat him up on the price but I have a 1500 that I just did the carb's myself. I can't find any info on removing the injectors and trying to find out just how bad a job that would be. The bike seems to run fine otherwise but I'm sure if it sat around during the hot texas summer it would be a problem.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Fuel injectors cleaning?

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

You might be describing a Wing that sat a long time and contamination is in the fuel system. Contamination can be rust, water, or gas that has gone bad. The first thing to check for is any signs of rust in the filler neck under the fuel cap. If any, the repair can get extensive, as in the entire fuel system either need cleaned or replaced. To really know, the fuel pump may need removed. The pump assembly includes the fuel filter too. Hint ... no matter how expensive a fuel pump might be, trying to clean the filter is, in almost all cases, a total waist of time. If the fuel pump get removed, and the upper sending unit also for a better look in the tank, be sure to have their new seals handy.

To answer your question, to remove the injectors requires the lifting of the radiators. Once that rads get lifted, you'll then have access. To lift the rads, remove the following:
- seat
- shelter
- garnish
- visor
- lower center cowl
- upper center cowl
- both inner cowls
- cowl
- injector covers
- radiator stays

This now gives access to remove the injectors. Be sure to order in the o-rings for the injectors. There are 2 for each. Also, sending the injectors out to have them professionally cleans is not the pricy. I use this guy http://www.advancedinjector.com. For less the $100 they'll be shipped and cleaned and you'll get back a before and after report.

If I recall, sometimes I'll remove the rads which requires draining the coolant. However, usually to lift them and hold them in place, I'll remove the rear most upper bolt that holts the fan shroud to the rad and loop a nylon tie in there. Then I'll tie the rad to the handle bar above. That'll give 3-4 inches of work space above the injectors.
keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

The surge that your having may just need a ECM reset.

Start the bike cold and let it idle until the fans come on. Do not touch the throttle at all.
Let the fans come on at least once if not twice. Shut the bike off completely, kill switch and key.
Restart bike, ECM is reset.

I had to do this a couple of times when I first got my 07 because it sat for a couple of years.

Try the simple things first.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

Instead of pulling the injectors, put some fresh fuel in and use Sea Foam for a couple of tanks. Use 2 oz. per gallon and do it for a couple of tanks. The ECM reset as Keith has described is also a good idea. See if that works.
fastback40
Motorcycle: 1995 goldwing

Post by fastback40 »

I've done the seafoam thing on several units and it just never worked and honestly once I pulled the pilot jet out and ran a wire through it. I don't see how seafoam could have dissolved the clog? Once everything is at least running then I agree seafoam or anything else helps alot. I think the only way is to pull the injectors and have them clean. Since the bike sat for over a year I doubt resetting the ecm will open the clog as well. In the past when clearing out the pilot jet the clog is indeed semi hard and the wire has to push through it to open. It aint just gummy varnish. I really did not believe some of my friends that said it only takes three months with this fuel to clog it up but it does. So back to the bike I'm really not sure I want to tackle it plus he said it had new tires but as it turns out there is 6k on them. I really don't want to get an updated bike just to sit for months until I fix the obvious issues but thanks for all the help!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

fastback40 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am I've done the seafoam thing on several units and it just never worked and honestly once I pulled the pilot jet out and ran a wire through it. I don't see how seafoam could have dissolved the clog? Once everything is at least running then I agree seafoam or anything else helps alot. I think the only way is to pull the injectors and have them clean. Since the bike sat for over a year I doubt resetting the ecm will open the clog as well. In the past when clearing out the pilot jet the clog is indeed semi hard and the wire has to push through it to open. It aint just gummy varnish. I really did not believe some of my friends that said it only takes three months with this fuel to clog it up but it does. So back to the bike I'm really not sure I want to tackle it plus he said it had new tires but as it turns out there is 6k on them. I really don't want to get an updated bike just to sit for months until I fix the obvious issues but thanks for all the help!
You got it right. Seafoam is very good at removing deposits from constricted passages, but if something is clogged, all the Seafoam in the world is not going to make any difference. It works as a solvent as it pushes by, dissolving the deposits. If it's not moving past (because it's clogged) then it will have zero effect.
bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 »

If I want to clean my fuel system, I periodically put Half a Can of Seafoam in a tank of fuel and run it through, then add the rest of the can to the next fill up. I do this on all my bikes about twice per year.
Bill
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

fastback40 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am I've done the seafoam thing on several units and it just never worked and honestly once I pulled the pilot jet out and ran a wire through it. I don't see how seafoam could have dissolved the clog? Once everything is at least running then I agree seafoam or anything else helps alot. I think the only way is to pull the injectors and have them clean. Since the bike sat for over a year I doubt resetting the ecm will open the clog as well. In the past when clearing out the pilot jet the clog is indeed semi hard and the wire has to push through it to open. It aint just gummy varnish. I really did not believe some of my friends that said it only takes three months with this fuel to clog it up but it does. So back to the bike I'm really not sure I want to tackle it plus he said it had new tires but as it turns out there is 6k on them. I really don't want to get an updated bike just to sit for months until I fix the obvious issues but thanks for all the help!

Agree 100% on a bike with a carb. A plugged jet needs to be removed and the blockage removed.

But, we are talking about a fuel injected bike here. If it is running, the injector (in the 1800's case, a throttle body) is passing some fuel, just not like it should be. Using a cleaner like Sea Foam to clean the crud out is the first, least expensive step to see if it will clear up the rough running problem. If not, then there could be a bad injector or the ECM needs to be reset. The ECM controls the fuel flow of the injector. There are only two injectors on the 1800, one for each bank of cylinders. If the injector was plugged, the bike would not run.

To answer your question on where the Throttle Body is. You would have to remove the bodywork like you would be changing the air filter. When you get to the air box, unscrew and remove the bottom of the air box and you will see the throttle body. It is more or less like getting to the carbs on your 1500. If everything else does not work, make sure you get a shop manual to work on the fuel injection system.
oilboy1162
Motorcycle: '72 cb750k
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Post by oilboy1162 »

And thats why I'm a HUGE fan of not cleaner but an ethynol stabilizer/cleaner like lucas oil green stabilizer. prevents fuel breakdown AND ethynol based gas from builing waterduring storage. IMHO of course. :lol:
:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

If a 5th gen is being stored, be sure to follow the long term storage instructions in the Owner's Manual.

Beware, that in an Owner's Manual no where does Honda recommend an additive ever be put in the fuel. However, if one does choose to add one, my advice is to burn through the tank. Do not leave the additive in the tank. Doing so can lead to expensive repairs.