Starting Problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
controlu
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing / Trike Conversion

Starting Problem

Post by controlu »

I bought a used '03 GL1800. Started fine, ran fine, I bought it. A few days later I tried to start it and it would crank but not start. I tried several times but it would not start. Pissed off, I went to the hardware store for some things needed at the house, got home and pushed the button and it fired right up. This has happened several times now. No FI indications or anything. Just cops an attitude I guess. Any hints as to what's going on?

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Starting Problem

Post by Viking »

Could be so many things. First thing I would look at would be the battery. If it is not up to full strength and is dropping below 10.9 Volts (I think that is the limit) while cranking, then the ECM will not have enough power to develop spark to start the bike. Then because you "excercised" the battery, a rest allows it to start the bike, but if the battery will not hold the charge, it needs to be replaced. This is the first place I start whenever I have any electrical problems, because of the lessons I have learned with my Ford diesel pickup. If it is not the battery, post back and we shall try to get to the root of the problem.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

Follow Viking's advise first, check the battery and the connections to it, insuring they're clean and tight. Something else to look at is the right switch pod. Pull the screws and separate the halves a bit. Once that's done, get some electrical contact cleaner and lube, and flush the tar out of everything in there. I had a situation where I'd start the bike and it would just shut off out of the blue. Wait a moment and she'd start back up. I cleaned those switches and haven't had an issue with it since. Solid, clean, ground connections are a must. Also, does you 03 have dogbone fuses at the positive connection of the battery? If it does, there should be 2, a primary and a secondary. These deteriorate over time and work when they want to. If those are there, remove them and install inline fuse holders with 30 amp fuses. The difference is awesome and may cure your issue. Good luck and ride safe.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
controlu

Post by controlu »

Thank you gentlemen. I shall try as you suggest.
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

As a side note, don't use WD40 on your switches. CRC makes a great cleaner, CRC26, which is plastic safe. Just didn't want you to goober up things in there.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Be sure the battery is tested, and the cables are clean and tight. Next, take a battery voltage reading while the starter is cracking the engine over. Report back with that voltage. If it cranks and will not start again, with the side stand down, crank it for 10 seconds to see if the FI light starts to flash. If it does, count the flashes.

Long flash = 10
Short flash = 1

For example 1 long and 9 shorts = 19. If you didn't catch the light correctly or counted wrong, don't worry the code will cycle again.
controlu

Post by controlu »

New battery, clean and tight connections. Took it to a repair shop to have the forks serviced and told him about the starting problem. Picked it up yesterday and he told me it started every time, no problem. Garaged it last night and this morning I tried 10-12 times and it would not start. Putzed around an hour or so, hit the button and it fired right up! I'm baffled.
P.S. After it starts the first time it will run fine all day and start every time. (So far, fingers crossed)
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

controlu wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:15 pm New battery, clean and tight connections. Took it to a repair shop to have the forks serviced and told him about the starting problem. Picked it up yesterday and he told me it started every time, no problem. Garaged it last night and this morning I tried 10-12 times and it would not start. Putzed around an hour or so, hit the button and it fired right up! I'm baffled.
P.S. After it starts the first time it will run fine all day and start every time. (So far, fingers crossed)
The next time it fails to start, cycle the key on and off a couple of times paying close attention to whether or not you can hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds at turn-on. If you hear it every time, then put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and watch the reading while you’re cranking the engine. If it drops below 11.1V, your new battery is weak or something is draining the battery too much when the key is off. If the voltage is staying above 11.1V, then do the 10+ second crank test that Greg mentioned above to see if you have an issue with an engine sensor.
controlu

Post by controlu »

I even took the seat off to listen for the fuel pump and, yes, I heard something. I'm considering replacing the fuel pump and the fuel filter because, just because. 60,000 mi. on it and I'm thinking it might be a good move anyway. I might pull the fuel line on the exit side of the pump to check the flow.
I also bought a can of CRC Electronic cleaner to spray the inside of the right handlebar switches.
This morning when it would not start, it had just come off the charger not five min. I doubt a new battery would discharge that quickly.
Anyway, Thanks for the comebacks and I'll keep ya posted.
controlu

Post by controlu »

After getting it started yesterday I ran a bunch of errands around town. I shut it off and restarted 10-12 times, no problem. Brought it home and did some work on it, like relocating the brake peddle etc. Then washed it and put F11 on it, new weather strip on the trunk door, then went across the street for happy hour or two. Came home and punched the start button and it fired right up. Seven a.m. this morning and it won't start.
Is there a temp. sensor somewhere that might be a problem? This only happens in the mornings although I live in south Florida and the mornings now are 73°. Go figure ... then get back to me. PLEASE.
8:15 this morning and still won't start. Supposed to meet folks at 9:30 to ride.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

controlu wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 am After getting it started yesterday I ran a bunch of errands around town. I shut it off and restarted 10-12 times, no problem. Brought it home and did some work on it, like relocating the brake peddle etc. Then washed it and put F11 on it, new weather strip on the trunk door, then went across the street for happy hour or two. Came home and punched the start button and it fired right up. Seven a.m. this morning and it won't start.
Is there a temp. sensor somewhere that might be a problem? This only happens in the mornings although I live in south Florida and the mornings now are 73°. Go figure ... then get back to me. PLEASE.
8:15 this morning and still won't start. Supposed to meet folks at 9:30 to ride.
This sounds like a possible bad crankshaft position sensor, but if you don’t do the 10+ second crank test, we will never know.
controlu

Post by controlu »

BREAK THROUGH!! 1st: The 10 sec. test is mute on mine because it has been triked and there is no side stand. I've got a used one on order from e-bay.
HOWEVER: This morning I tried for over an hour and it would not start. Then I opened the throttle wide open, hit the starter button and then started backing off the throttle. I moved it very little and it fired right up. Next time I'm gonna try opening the throttle and see how far it has to be twisted before starting.
So, I'm thinking the problem is that it is not set rich enough when it is cold. Now, what part controls that and is it adjustable or need replacement.
Back to the manual.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

controlu wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:08 pm BREAK THROUGH!! 1st: The 10 sec. test is mute on mine because it has been triked and there is no side stand. I've got a used one on order from e-bay.
HOWEVER: This morning I tried for over an hour and it would not start. Then I opened the throttle wide open, hit the starter button and then started backing off the throttle. I moved it very little and it fired right up. Next time I'm gonna try opening the throttle and see how far it has to be twisted before starting.
So, I'm thinking the problem is that it is not set rich enough when it is cold. Now, what part controls that and is it adjustable or need replacement.
Back to the manual.
The fuel mixture is controlled by the ECM, there’s no adjustment for the cold start mixture. Have you looked behind the left side chrome engine cover? The old sidestand switch may be tucked up there.
controlu

Post by controlu »

Yes, it's there. I did what I think is the 10 second test but not sure of the switch position. VOM said it was down, but.... Anyway, no flashes at the FI. When I get the actual side stand I'll be more sure.
Techdude2000

Post by Techdude2000 »

controlu wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:00 am Yes, it's there. I did what I think is the 10 second test but not sure of the switch position. VOM said it was down, but.... Anyway, no flashes at the FI. When I get the actual side stand I'll be more sure.
If you rotate the collar on the switch clockwise until the “S” comes on the dash, it will be in the down position. Make sure you’re in neutral and crank it for more than 10 seconds to get it to flash. If you still don’t get a code, it’s probably not a sensor.
controlu

Post by controlu »

Home sweet home?
Home sweet home?

Since I bought used, I decided to do a complete service so I had a known starting point. This is how I found the air cleaner. Mind you, I bought this from a dealer.
I wonder how much squirrel crap went through my engine? would that be considered a lubricant?
Part of the starting problem?
Last edited by controlu on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

controlu wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:13 am Since I bought used, I decided to do a complete service so I had a known starting point. This is how I found the air cleaner. Mind you, I bought this from a dealer.
Well, I can't insert the photo but a creature has been living there and left behind a bunch of nut shells and stuff.
Part of the starting problem?
Adding a picture: How to add pictures to your message

You might want to post your picture in the Dirty Air Filter Hall of Fame
controlu

Post by controlu »

I just checked the filter hall of shame. I thought mine was bad, and it is, but I'm way down the list.
controlu

Post by controlu »

As a final post to this thread: Since changing the air filter it has started the first time every time. Poor baby must have been really straining while it did run.