Not sure what these are

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
GL470
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Not sure what these are

Post by GL470 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am

Took these off the front wheel from a new-to-me 2008 Goldwing. Not sure what they are, suspect it is some kind of self balancer, it sounds like it has sand inside when you shake it. Does anyone know?
Thanks, Kenny

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Not sure what these are

Post by Good Hondog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:30 pm

You're right. That's exactly what they are. Those look just like Centramatic balancers used on big trucks to continually balance the tire and wheel assemblies. They are filled with tiny steel shot and work on the same principal as Dyna Beads. That system has been around for years and works well. Keep them on the bike.

GL470

Post by GL470 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Good Hondog, thanks for the fast response. Since I posted, I found the Centramatic site and read quite a bit of it. However, I don’t believe the ones I have are centramatic because Centramatic is in chrome finish and these ones are in black anodized finish. They are not spray-painted black.
Another suspecious tell tale is that the ones I have sound like dry sand inside, doesn’t sound like the pallets are carried in fluid as Centramatic advertised.
I am reluctant to put them back on. My handle bar was shaking above 70mph (120kph). Now the shop statically balanced the front wheel with the old fashion rim weights. The shake is gone, the bike rides smooth as silk.
There is one black disc mounted on the back wheel as well. But that one is not bothering me.
Kenny

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Post by Ghostman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:19 pm

The Centramatics at one point could be had in Chrome or in your kind of finish. When you shake them or rotate them it sounds similar to sand moving around. But when theyre mounted on the wheel you have to mount them a specific way with the welds being oriented a specific way from side to side. At least thats what I remember when I put mine on when they 1st came out. If they werent mounted right that couldve been part of your issue.

GL470

Post by GL470 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:12 pm

Ghostman, ah ha, so they did come in chrome or black. I’ll contact them for installation instructions. From what I read, anyone who had them, raved about them. Anyone who doesn’t have them says they are too much money. But no one said they don’t work.
May be I didn’t know I had a good thing.
Kenny