Push Button for storage

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
controlu
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing / Trike Conversion

Push Button for storage

Post by controlu »

The gas filler door needs a key to open it, but there are aftermarket push buttons that eliminate the need for a key. Has anyone seen the same thing for the right side fairing pocket? If I want something locked up I can use the saddle bag or trunk. I'd like to utilize the pocket when going down the road and not need to stop, shut off the engine.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Push Button for storage

Post by Andy Cote »

There are push button locks in various sizes. I don't remember seeing anyone do that so you might have to research a part number that has the right dimensions and let the rest of us know.

But....

A number of guys have made key knobs. Get a replacement key made, cut off part of the key ring end and epoxy into a common black knob. Leave inserted all the time or remove if you want the added security.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

I saw a post a few weeks back where someone did take the lock off and replaced it with a push button but of course I can't find it now or remember where I saw it. But as Andy said most ride just make a key knob for the fuel and storage pocket doors. Easy to do.
here is one on my 97 SE gas flap

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
Oldewing
Motorcycle: 82 GL 1100 Interstate
06 GL 1800
76 GL 1000

Post by Oldewing »

Cut a key down, mount in bottle cap or matching radio knob and boom, your in on the fly.

I have done this with all my wings, no need to take key out (or shut down electronics ) at gas stops either.
you can go exactly .4 miles with the petcock turned off.

82 GL1100
68 CB350
06 GL1800
controlu
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing / Trike Conversion

Post by controlu »

Great idea! Thanks folks.
am3098
Motorcycle: 2010 Candy Caliente Red GL1800

Post by am3098 »

In my opinion the cut off key knobs are the way to go. One advantage is if you park and want to lock something in your left pocket (center pocket for you 12-17 guys), you can just remove the key knob and put it in your pocket or lock it in the trunk. I just made key knobs for my 08 and my buddies 16. Two radio knobs and a couple of spare keys, and you're in business for less than $20. Cruiseman has a YouTube video on how to make them. One thing I will suggest from personal experience is I used quick set JB Weld instead of Gorilla Glue. I'm not a fan of teh way Gorilla Glue expands when it dries; in this case it it could interfere with how the key knob fits. Here's the video;

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

A.J. Musial
USAF Retired
Bazetta Twp., OH
94 1500SE
02 Bushtec

"A Veteran - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the U.S.A., in the amount of up to and including their life"