Turn signal???

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
GaryRatliff
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing

Turn signal???

Post by GaryRatliff »

On a recent trip, my turn signals quit working. I then noticed radio, accessory (lighter)plug and camera system I added wasn't working. The accessory plug and camera system has worked for a long time. Everything else (Lights, horn, cruise, etc) that I have checked works fine and fuses all appear to be good. Any thoughts?

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Turn signal???

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

GaryRatliff wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am
... fuses all appear to be good. Any thoughts?
In the world of electricity, "appear to be good" is often not good enough. Use a test light or a VOM (volt ohm meter) to know for sure, and recheck those fuses. Your camera may have overloaded the circuit and blown a fuse.

Also, be sure your battery connections are clean and tight, and have your battery tested.

GaryRatliff
Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Goldwing

Post by GaryRatliff »

GoldwingrGreg was absolutely right; "appearances" of fuses can be deceiving! There was a bad fuse; problem resolved! Thank you so much Greg.

alwrmcusn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike (2013)

Post by alwrmcusn »

Just an aside:
Fuses are routinely considered either good or bad. Either they work or they have "blown".
Once during my Navy career I encountered a "partially" blown fuse.
Seems the piece of communications equipment suddenly stopped working and then started and then stopped and then started..etc.
The ET that examined the equipment was stymied because it would power up for a minute then drop off for a few seconds and then power back up but never long enough to be used.
Obviously he assumed it was not a fuse. So everything was examined and all was normal.
Eventually he did try a new fuse and, voila! it remained operational. He re-inserted the original fuse and again it was on a minute, off a few seconds.
He spent some time examining the fuse and determined that one end of the contact when warm would fall away and thus no power. But a few seconds later when there was no heat it returned to its normal "contact" and would allow power to flow.
He and his CPO decided to log it as a "partially blown fuse" in the maintenance log. He had a little holder made for it and had it hanging in the ET shop.
Every motorcycle can out perform it's rider.

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I've seen fuses that have a hair-line crack, and to the naked eye, all was well ... but no voltage is passing thru.