Continuing starting problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
controlu
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing / Trike Conversion

Continuing starting problems

Post by controlu »

I’ve purchased a used ’03 GL1800 this last Easter weekend. It’s had a starting problem the whole time. I dug down and found the air filter partially eaten by squirrels. I know it was squirrels because of all the nuts and nut shells on top of the filter. After cleaning that mess the bike started first time every time … for a while.
Last Sat. it wouldn’t start again. This time I had enough knowledge to check for error codes. All six fuel injectors were faulted. I tried tracing down the problem and found that the brown wire to the injectors were not getting power. Further trouble shooting via the manual got me in deeper than I was prepared for without the proper testing tools, so I took it to a local shop.
The shop owner tells me (mind you, before doing any trouble shooting at all, just in conversation) that a vast majority of the “won’t start” problems are traced back to the kill switch. Ok, fine, whatever, just fix it. He is now in the process of doing that … I believe.
However, my alleged mind wonders “does the kill switch kill the power to the injectors and if so then it would follow that every time the engine is shut down via the kill switch the injectors would throw a fault code”.
Can someone please educate me?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Continuing starting problems

Post by AZgl1800 »

on some model years, if the Kill switch is off, the starter motor will still work.

other years, it will not work.

I don't know which years are which though
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 »

On my '16 the starter does not work with the kill switch engaged.

Where you found a partially eaten air filter, my first suspicion is that some residue found its way into the fuel system and possibly the cylinders. I would first check the plugs for fouling and if possible use an inspection camera to check the cylinder walls, then proceed to the fuel injection system.
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I'm gonna assume the complaint it really that it cranks over but will not start. Is that correct ???

Because a rodent is involved, check harness for chew marks.
controlu

Post by controlu »

After the air filter was changed it started first time every time and ran great for three weeks or so. I don't believe it is a continuation of the same problem. I guess the main thrust of my question is how the kill switch affects the fuel injectors. I don't believe it does.
I think the kill switch turns off the spark to the plugs and shuts down that way. The mechanics saying that a high percentage of the non-start problems being the kill switch may be true, however I don't think that would affect the injectors.
controlu

Post by controlu »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:14 pm I'm gonna assume the complaint it really that it cranks over but will not start. Is that correct ???

Because a rodent is involved, check harness for chew marks.
That's right, it cranks over but won't start.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Usually these cranks but will not start problems can be intermittent during diagnosing too. Here are some things to check for, and I would do it in the order listed:
- if able to start, while running ... tap the kill switch and then with your fingers grab the kill switch and rock it forward and aft, and left to right. The engine should not die. It should only die if the kill switch is rotated to either kill position. Also see http://www.justwings.com/uploads/SB-2_2 ... Switch.pdf
- be sure that the battery tests good, that its connections are clean and tight
- pull the DTC codes
- check the main harness for chew marks from a rodent
controlu

Post by controlu »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:31 pm

Usually these cranks but will not start problems can be intermittent during diagnosing too. Here are some things to check for, and I would do it in the order listed:
- if able to start, while running ... tap the kill switch and then with your fingers grab the kill switch and rock it forward and aft, and left to right. The engine should not die. It should only die if the kill switch is rotated to either kill position. Also see http://www.justwings.com/uploads/SB-2_2 ... Switch.pdf
- be sure that the battery tests good, that its connections are clean and tight
- pull the DTC codes
- check the main harness for chew marks from a rodent
I had to read this 4-5 times to retain it all due to the picture, but
Kill switch is being replaced.
Battery is new and fully charged
DTC codes showed all six injectors failed
Main harness to be inspected.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

controlu wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:53 pm I had to read this 4-5 times to retain it all due to the picture, but
Kill switch is being replaced.
Battery is new and fully charged
DTC codes showed all six injectors failed
Main harness to be inspected.
Sometimes she gets me all twisted up !!!

Regarding the DTC codes for the 6 injectors. It's not unusual for all 6 of those codes to be stored, and no one knows why. So don't give them any credit, but be sure to erase them.