Help broken down at Gran Coulee Dam Washington

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Sharon2665
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing 1800 w/ Razor trike kit

Help broken down at Gran Coulee Dam Washington

Post by Sharon2665 »

Been on an extended trip from Ohio across the north western states since Aug 2. Have a 2004 GW 1800 w/ Trike kit on it. Been on many long trips with her and no problem. Today we came riding across Rt 2 and had stopped at a rest stop about 23 miles from Coulee Dam. She was working great then. As we pulled into town we stopped to check directions and heard a whining noise coming from the front end. I also smelled a light burning smell. Limped the last mile to the visitors center at Coulee Dam and figured that the noise was coming from the front end. Sounded like a really squeaky fan noise. When we went to turn it off it would just Sartre knocking and knocking and not turn off. Finally I put it in first and popped the clutch and it stalled out. We let it sit for about 2 hrs and when we rechecked her she wouldn’t start at all just a clicking noise. Oil and brake fluid was fine but antifreeze was very low so a nice Canadian GW rider had some and filled it up for us. Still wouldn’t start. When we try and turn it on the F1 light comes on but does not blink to give me any code. It also never came on while driving.
Luckily we were had a hotel right across the street so we could walk there but they don’t have the 2 rooms we need for Aug 19 in case we can’t get her fixed tomorrow. Not sure what everyone is doing in this town tomorrow that everywhere is booked up. Guess us tourists never stay home.
So they told us there is a bike place here called MPH or something and I have a phone no but it is not a GW Shop. Hope he works on everything as it looks like the next closest place is Spokane. Guess we will need to get her towed wherever so hopefully they have flatbed towing here!
Anyone have any ideas or words of wisdom for me. Neither my husband nor I are much about working on bikes but I do know how to check the fluids and where my fuses are etc. I leave the rest up to the dealership and had it totally worked up before we left home. She just went over 90,000 this trip.
Thanks guys.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Help broken down at Gran Coulee Dam Washington

Post by Viking »

I would not bother with the local shop. Get it towed to a Honda dealership. If that is Spokane, okay, but they probably have a chance of figuring out what is wrong. You say you cannot find a motel or hotel for the next nights so moving is necessary anyway.

Just before you do, however, check that your Run/Stop switch is in the run position. That would be a costly mistake to discover after the tow.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

Well local guy has been super helpful and seems very knowledgable and has determined it is the starter. They were able to push start it and when they did that she ran fine. Seems the starter was partially engaged during the last 23 miles of our trip. When it is running the reverse will not work at all so that points to starter also. Unfortunately there are no GW shops anywhere near here that are open on Mondays. Weird but ours at home aren’t either. So he is having a starter shipped by amazon overnight and we will see what that does.
I did check the kill switch first thing!
GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

To me it sounds like your starter got fried. When it is removed, smell it ... it will probably have a strong, pungent electrical burnt smell if opened up.

This happens if the starter continued spinning after the engine is started. The start button is release, but the starter does not turn off ... it continues running. There is a common cause for this. The "a" and "b" relays need replaced. Their contacts will stick and cause this condition. It is best to replace them as a set.

Also, others will do the same thing and order a "new" starter from Amazon or eBay. They are new knock-offs. The chance of that starter lasting a long life is not good. In fact, it may only get you a couple of hundred miles down the road, and leave you stranded in a different way. Unfortunately, the only starter and relays that have consistent reliability are ones that come in a Honda package. That means that they must be ordered from a Honda dealer. There are many that sell on-line, of which one is listed below. Yes ... they cost more, because Honda quality is pricy. However, if reliability is paramount, us GW riders only have 1 good choice. Be sure to buy all three from Honda.

The relays are parts #8 and 9
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... ng/battery

The starter is part #1
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... ting-motor

If you need add'l help, feel free to call. I own the only specialized GL1800 repair center in the world.
JustWings - GL1800 Specialty Service and Repair
813-416-8600
Mon-Fri 9-5 eastern time
Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

Thank you so much for the information. Will call the shop tomorrow. I will give him the parts information so he can get the right stuff. I will also give him your phone no in case he has any specific questions. Again thank you so so much.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

I'm sure he will use his own sources to source your parts and then mark them up. They just need to be OEM Honda.

Also, be sure that he verifies that the start button does not stay in the start position when it is released.

FYI ... because it is part of a shops needed profit to stay in business, most shops charge retail price for parts. Or they don't, but then have to charge more for labor.
Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

Thank you so much for the link to partzilla.com. I got everything ordered and overnighted for tomorrow, starter and new a and b relays and they are all Honda parts. Also have a master GW mechanic who has offered to step the guy through anything he needs to put it all back together.
Things are looking up some I would say. Appreciate all of your help.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Hopefully your master tech will know to not force the starter into place. Doing so can cause the reverse idler gear to break. That then turns a simple, expensive repair, into one that he might not be able to do.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Sharon2665 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Anyone have any ideas or words of wisdom for me.
You up and running ???
Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

Kind of yes. On Thursday the local bike shop got the starter and the B relay put in. A relays were on back order through partzilla and wouldn’t have gotten to this repair place till Monday. The bike started it just did not have reverse. We told the guy how to check the relay but not sure he did that.anyways called the Honda dealer in Quincy WA who have been great at also helping us walk through things and figure stuff out. They felt it would be fine to drive so we drove her down to their shop in Quincy. They said there is some kind of linkage thing that needs reset through the electrical system and this guy would have no idea how to do that and that might be the only problem. So long story short it is at the Honda dealership now and they are checking it all out. Also gonna change the oil and stick a new front tire on her before we leave which they are hopeful will be today. I hope so to as the hotel rooms here are sold out tonight!! I’ll let you know how it goes today and what they find. Appreciate all the help and ideas. Esp the links to the parts and how to get them.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Sharon2665 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:55 pm Kind of yes. On Thursday the local bike shop got the starter and the B relay put in. A relays were on back order through partzilla and wouldn’t have gotten to this repair place till Monday. The bike started it just did not have reverse. We told the guy how to check the relay but not sure he did that.anyways called the Honda dealer in Quincy WA who have been great at also helping us walk through things and figure stuff out. They felt it would be fine to drive so we drove her down to their shop in Quincy. They said there is some kind of linkage thing that needs reset through the electrical system and this guy would have no idea how to do that and that might be the only problem. So long story short it is at the Honda dealership now and they are checking it all out. Also gonna change the oil and stick a new front tire on her before we leave which they are hopeful will be today. I hope so to as the hotel rooms here are sold out tonight!! I’ll let you know how it goes today and what they find. Appreciate all the help and ideas. Esp the links to the parts and how to get them.
If it helps any, for an add'l fee, many dealers can overnight a part. Depending on their location, Saturday delivery is possible too. Usually there is a cut off time, for me, here in Tampa, my order would need to be in by 4:00pm.

Linkage thing needing reset in the electrical system, humm ... I've never heard of that. Possibly a reverse cable adjustment is what they're referring too.

FYI in case there is ever a next time, if you ever hear you starter running after the engine starts, what needs done immediately is to remove the negative cable off the battery.
Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

That’s good to know about removing the negative cable off the battery. Unfortunately there was nothing that sounded different when we started it at the rest stop. At least not that we heard. Can’t say when it started as it was so darn windy you couldn’t hear anything but that.
Well the end to the story for now is we are towing it home on a U Haul truck! The guy today who worked on it has done GL 1800s for 41 yrs now and is very knowledgable and helpful. He said he has never seen anything like this before. Now my explanation may not be fully correct but then I don’t understand much about engines. He says that reverse on the starter is turning fine. What is not engaging is the gear it goes to that I believe is on the shaft to the transmission or somewhere down there by the transmission. He said to get to it you basically have to pull the engine. Possible that if they took the starter off again they may be able to get down in there and see what’s going on but it’s a big if and ya still gotta take the gas tank off for that. Said it may get us home , without reverse of course, just fine but then again not knowing what’s going on it may be a broken part and something further could break off. That could cause other damage to the engine or even a wreck depending on what’s going on. I personally don’t want to take any risk with damaging the bike further or hurting ourselves so went with hauling it. Could have flown home and let them fix it but that would have been just as expensive.
So for now that’s the rest of the story. Will let you know the specifics after our shop at home hopefully fixes it.
I will give a BIG shout out and thanks to Chet’s Powersports in Quincy WA. Rob the owner went above and beyond in helping us out in so many ways. He even personally drove us to another town so we could rent the U Haul, helped us get the bike loaded after hours and the whole nine yards. What a super guy and team he has there. Hope anyone in that area will stop in and support them.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Sorry to hear about your reverse, thus the warning in post #8. It often happens when a starter is installed, and the tech is unfamiliar with what he is actually doing. If indeed the reverse idler gear is broke, the engine will need removed, to fix it. An inspection of the gear can be achieved by removing the starter. I've fixed several of these for the same reason. Sometimes a combination of steps must occur when installing a starter for it not to happen.

The idler gear that is probably broke is
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Sorry to hear about your reverse, thus the warning in post #8 ... the tech who installed the starter forced it into place. I've even heard that when some cannot get the starter seated correctly, they'll draw the started in by tightening the starter bolts. Although I've never made this mistake myself, I'm sure he would have heard the gear break and drop ... the noise would have been very noticeable. It happens when a starter is installed, and the tech is unfamiliar with what he is actually doing. If indeed the reverse idler gear is broke, the engine will need to be removed as the Honda tech indicated.

An inspection of the gear can be achieved by removing the starter. I've fixed several of these for the same reason ... one was even sent to me by a local dealer. In many cases, when installing a starter, a combination of steps must occur, or the gear will break. The import part is that the starter must not be forced.

The idler gear that's probably broke is part #5 in the 1st fishe. A huge chunk of it will be found in the bottom of your rear case. The repair will require other parts such as gaskets, seals, o-rings, and lock nuts. As preventive maintenance, and because you have 90k on your ODM, I would highly suggest that the alternator drive gear gets replaced too. Fishe #2 parts 2, 3, 12, 16, and Fishe #3 part #4. Here at JustWings, we do so much of that repair that all those parts are in stock.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... verse-gear

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... drive-gear

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... /rear-case

Here's a picture of a reverse idler gear that is cracked. In this case, it did not completely break, but this damage would have all occurred by someone trying to force the starter into place.
Attachments

Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

Oh man I did not put two and two together with that one. Guess we screwed up big time. Do you ever see them break for other reasons?
We are giving it to our Honda shop so all repairs can be done there by qualified personnel. Wish you were closer than Florida!
We replaced the alternator earlier this summer. I am assuming that the alternator drive gear is separate from that?
Now do you want to really break my heart and tell me it would have been fine to drive her like that or were we smart to think it was safer to tow her?
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Sharon2665 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:28 pm Oh man I did not put two and two together with that one. Guess we screwed up big time. Do you ever see them break for other reasons?
We are giving it to our Honda shop so all repairs can be done there by qualified personnel. Wish you were closer than Florida!
We replaced the alternator earlier this summer. I am assuming that the alternator drive gear is separate from that?
Now do you want to really break my heart and tell me it would have been fine to drive her like that or were we smart to think it was safer to tow her?
The reverse gear breaking is a known issue when someone does not know how to install a starter correctly. All the ones I've repaired are a result from that. I've never heard of one braking for any other reason.

The alternator drive gear (ADG) is separate from the alternator. Like the reverse gear, it sits inside the rear case. If the ADG fails at a later time, it means the engine has to be pulled again. From 2001-05, Honda used a mechanical ADG that fails over time. In 2006-17, they went to a better design (non-mechanical) that rarely has issues.

When the reverse gear breaks, it usually falls in an area that causes no further problems, but towing it is best.

Actually, for a Wing owner, Ohio is not that far. Because I'm the only specialized GL1800 shop in the world, they come to me from all over the US and Canada. Recently one was professionally shipped from Los Angelos, CA. The owner and his wife flew in and rode their Wing home. One time a dealer shipped me a GL1800 engine from Portland, Or. But most Wings come to me from east of the Mississippi, and eastern Canada.

If for some reason your dealer will not fix your Wing, JustWings can.
702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Post by 702scottc »

That really stinks, sorry for all the trouble you had. Like Greg said, it takes quite a bit of force to crack or break that reverse gear. If the starter doesnt go right in then all he would have needed to do was rotate the engine a bit till it slides in. Pretty easy to remove the front timing plug and use a socket and long ratchet to turn the engine while pushing on the starter gently. I know it's a bit of a journey but if I where you I'd trailer the bike to justwings and have it repaired correctly . He will take the time to correct the other issues while there. Will be a new bike. Dealers arent that thorough. Just my opinion.
Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

Well I have learned more about my GW than I ever wanted to this trip! Main thing I learned is NEVER allow a non GW mechanic to work on your bike no matter what! The GW is my bike and my hubby typically rides a Victory Cross Country Trike. He was leery of taking his Victory on such a long trip because since they don’t make them anymore he was worried what might happen if he needed a part! Hmm. Rarely do those things break down but then same thing with a GW.
My hubby and I are trying to problem solve how we might get the bike down to you Greg. Unfortunately after all we have spent to break it further and get her home not sure if shipping it and repairs are both in the budget at this time. Maybe we could trailer it down sometime this winter and take a little vacation while you rebuilt it for me. Gonna have to give that some more thought. I’d rather have it done right and know I can ride her another 90,000 miles! We definitely want that ADG replaced also. Know need to redo things twice.
I truly do appreciate all the help and info and guidance. Will let you know if we figure out how to get her down to you.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

If I can be of anymore help, or if you need you Wing fixed, I'm always here.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

Sharon2665 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:28 pm Oh man I did not put two and two together with that one. Guess we screwed up big time. Do you ever see them break for other reasons?
Sorry, I’m late to this. Your mechanic might not be the cause. If you tried to use reverse even once while the welded relay had the starter spinning, it would have jammed and broke the idler gear. This is why I have warned folks not to try reverse if their starter won’t stop spinning. Greg will get you going again, it’s unfortunate it’s going to cost a lot to get her going again.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Techdude2000 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 am
Sorry, I’m late to this. Your mechanic might not be the cause. If you tried to use reverse even once while the welded relay had the starter spinning, it would have jammed and broke the idler gear. This is why I have warned folks not to try reverse if their starter won’t stop spinning. Greg will get you going again, it’s unfortunate it’s going to cost a lot to get her going again.
I'd never considered that.

I think you're describing a starter that is in a "fixed" electrical running condition, and all of the sudden the reverse switch is switch on, which mechanically dumps it into reverse (starter running) with a non-moving m/c ... a trike in this situation). I can see where that would greatly over stress the idler gear and it would likely break. Verses, it being moved into reverse as designed, and then the starter turned on to begin to move the m/c. Although you could be correct regarding how the idler got broke, the tech who installed the starter still has the responsibility to inspect the idler gear once the starter is pulled, then alert the customer and revise the estimate, prior to the owner discovering the problem on their own.
Sharon2665

Post by Sharon2665 »

I am positive that we never tried to put the bike in reverse while the starter was still spinning. We were to worried about what the noise was and what was happening and then trying to get her to turn off! We had her parked in a parking lot and just attempted to get her to turn off by using the key and the kill switch and then popping the clutch to finally get her to stall out. After that it wouldn’t even attempt to start.
In the mechanics defense he was not a GW mechanic and was attempting to help out some poor folks broken down on the road. It was our mistake in not taking it to a GW certified mechanic. As soon as we did we were told he thought it was the reverse drive gear but that he could not tell for sure unless he took the starter completely off again and checked which was going to cost money and time so that’s when we decided to bring her back home.
Techdude2000
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by Techdude2000 »

GoldWingrGreg wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:58 am
Techdude2000 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:33 am
I'd never considered that.

I think you're describing a starter that is in a "fixed" electrical running condition, and all of the sudden the reverse switch is switch on, which mechanically dumps it into reverse (starter running) with a non-moving m/c ... a trike in this situation). I can see where that would greatly over stress the idler gear and it would likely break. Verses, it being moved into reverse as designed, and then the starter turned on to begin to move the m/c. Although you could be correct regarding how the idler got broke, the tech who installed the starter still has the responsibility to inspect the idler gear once the starter is pulled, then alert the customer and revise the estimate, prior to the owner discovering the problem on their own.
I only mentioned the possibility because someone did just that to try to stop the starter once. It instantly broke the gear and inspired me to add the warning to the top of the Gl1800riders.com board.
GoldWingrGreg
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg »

Techdude2000 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 pm I only mentioned the possibility because someone did just that to try to stop the starter once. It instantly broke the gear and inspired me to add the warning to the top of the Gl1800riders.com board.
That's good info ... thanks for posting.