Recall and Crash in 2011 Feb 14

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
GEORGEDOK
Motorcycle: GL-1800 2005 30 Year Edition

Recall and Crash in 2011 Feb 14

Post by GEORGEDOK » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:23 am

While riding with my friend André(HD ElectraGlide Ultra) almost there at Confluencia Traful on the way to Bariloche Argentina, almost reaching our group, Sulistas Moto Clube, wich departed from Porto Alegre, Brasil, one day before us, I had a serious accident with my 2006 pre owned, 2000km( brandnew) Goldwing. It was 4:30pm, beautiful afternoon, amazing landscape ( this was my second motorcycle trip from Porto Alegre Brazil to Bariloche Argentina), I was in the apex of a light descending curve, 65 km/h, 5th gear when suddenlly I had the rear wheel blocked and released. I got the bike unstabilesed and, the handlebar was out of control, schaking, and I went straight out of the curve and crashed on the gravel. In a fraction of seconds, I was face down, with my GW by my side with the front wheel still spinning.
To make the long story short:
1.- left leg broken...
2.- metal plate surgery in Porto Alegre
3.- total loss bike.
4.- one year later I got a phone call from Honda Brazil for a recall on the rear wheel brake. I told them I was too late, I already was a victim. They claim the bike for inspection. No way. It was with the insurance company.
5.- In 2014, I bought a 2005, 30 year edition GW, and the same problem was there. I asked for a recall and after fighting with Honda they made it because Honda started importing GW's from USA in 2006 and this was direct imported.
So, be aware and check your USA GW's for rear wheel brake recall. Ride safe.