Which loctite?


Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Which loctite?

Post by C-dub » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:15 pm



I think the blue 242 is what I want. However, there is the warning about plastic.

My primary use at this time is for various small bolts and or screws. Most immediately are those inside the saddle bags and trunk that seem to vibrate loose with some regularity. I found one had dropped out of its hole a few days ago. I easily put it back it, but it got me to thinking. I'm already going to fix the "trunk rattle" soon before our next trip in 5 weeks. I'd also like to solve as much of this bolt screw issue as I can so it doesn't become an issue in the middle of our trip a few hundred miles from home.

Has anyone had any issues with 242 and their plastic? I think most of all the bolts go into metal, while some of the screws go into plastic. The top two screws in the trunk on the latch cover, for example, I know go into plastic.


I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Rambozo
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: Disneyland
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Which loctite?

Post by Rambozo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:45 pm

242 would be the ideal for all the metal to metal joints. For the screws that go into plastic, a safe method is to just use a small dab of silicone on the side of the head after it is tightened to keep it from backing out, without getting any adhesive down in the threads.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2589
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Re: Which loctite?

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:12 am

Any thread locker will eventually destroy the ABS plastic on the bike. The plastic will craze and then start to crumble and at that point all you can do is replace it. Keep thread locker away from plastic parts.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Which loctite?

Post by C-dub » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:51 pm

MikeB wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:12 am
Any thread locker will eventually destroy the ABS plastic on the bike. The plastic will craze and then start to crumble and at that point all you can do is replace it. Keep thread locker away from plastic parts.
Okay. With all that in mind, would it be better to avoid even using a thread locker on bolts that go through plastic and into metal? Then only use a thread locker on metal to metal parts that don't come in contact with plastic at all?

It is beginning to sound like the best way to ensure bolts and screws that come in contact with plastic at all is just to periodically check them to snug them down before they can come completely out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2589
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Re: Which loctite?

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:34 pm

That is pretty much all you can do.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
M61A1MECH
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 pm
Location: Edgewater, Florida
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Re: Which loctite?

Post by M61A1MECH » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:28 am

C-dub wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:51 pm
MikeB wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:12 am
Any thread locker will eventually destroy the ABS plastic on the bike. The plastic will craze and then start to crumble and at that point all you can do is replace it. Keep thread locker away from plastic parts.
Okay. With all that in mind, would it be better to avoid even using a thread locker on bolts that go through plastic and into metal? Then only use a thread locker on metal to metal parts that don't come in contact with plastic at all?

It is beginning to sound like the best way to ensure bolts and screws that come in contact with plastic at all is just to periodically check them to snug them down before they can come completely out.
Keep Loctite products away from plastic, even if the fastener is just passing through the plastic, any seepage, spillage and even the fumes will cause severe damage to most plastics. I ran a R$D lab for 15 years and tested Loctite on all sorts of high tech and generic plastics, many all we did was to put a drop on the surface, that was enough to cause stress cracks to form, if we threaded screws in with Loctite it was worse because of the stress induced by the torque required to tighten the hardware. I agree with using a small dab of silicone and also have used plumbers Teflon tape on the screw thread to add a bit of bulk to the screw threads and that is enough to keep them from backing out and there is no mess like with silicone from a tube.
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Which loctite?

Post by C-dub » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:29 pm

I have silicon tape. That'll work!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Which loctite?

Post by cihilb » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:36 pm

If it's the screws that go into plastic, use a piece of a nylon wire tie in the hole, then the screw. Cut the wire tie flush with the top of the hole.
If the screws are going into threaded inserts, use a dab finger nail polish on the screw.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2589
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Re: Which loctite?

Post by MikeB » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:08 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:29 pm
I have silicon tape. That'll work!
I think you mean Teflon tape.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Which loctite?

Post by C-dub » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 pm

MikeB wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:08 pm
C-dub wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:29 pm
I have silicon tape. That'll work!
I think you mean Teflon tape.
Oh yeah. That last sentence had me thinking silicon. I've some of the white and used it on water fittings. I just thought it was for ensuring no water leaked through the threads. I didn't realize it would also ensure a smaller bolt or screw wouldn't vibrate back out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20528
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Which loctite?

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm

cihilb wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:36 pm
If it's the screws that go into plastic, use a piece of a nylon wire tie in the hole, then the screw. Cut the wire tie flush with the top of the hole.
If the screws are going into threaded inserts, use a dab finger nail polish on the screw.
I've used this method MANY times as a jury-rig fix for stripped threads. A toothpick works, too.

edr421
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Greenfield, IN
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Re: Which loctite?

Post by edr421 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 pm

if all else fails, take a pair of pliers and crimp the threads. blue loctite if it is metal to metal, red is stronger and is for bearings.

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Which loctite?

Post by cihilb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:36 pm

edr421 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 pm
if all else fails, take a pair of pliers and crimp the threads. blue loctite if it is metal to metal, red is stronger and is for bearings.
NO LOCTITE anywhere near the plastic parts. Unless you want to replace them.

User avatar
Steve F
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Grand Canyon State!
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800
DARKSIDE RIDER

Re: Which loctite?

Post by Steve F » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 pm

One technique that I have HEARD of (not actually used) is to drill out the hole where the threads are slightly oversize, and fill the hole with JB WELD... ---BUT--- do not let it harden until you put the screw back in the hole.... ---AND---first you spray or coat the screw with silicone lubricant and then insert the screw, but don't tighten it. let the JB WELD harden over night, and then carefully remove the screw. The silicone lubricant SHOULD keep the threads from sticking to the JB, and you'll end up with a "new" thread in the hole. Trim off any excess JB from the area and reassemble like normal.
"To ride is the reason, the destination's the excuse."

User avatar
cihilb
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Natrona Hts., PA
Motorcycle: 2012 Pearl White

Re: Which loctite?

Post by cihilb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:22 am

Steve F wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 pm
One technique that I have HEARD of (not actually used) is to drill out the hole where the threads are slightly oversize, and fill the hole with JB WELD... ---BUT--- do not let it harden until you put the screw back in the hole.... ---AND---first you spray or coat the screw with silicone lubricant and then insert the screw, but don't tighten it. let the JB WELD harden over night, and then carefully remove the screw. The silicone lubricant SHOULD keep the threads from sticking to the JB, and you'll end up with a "new" thread in the hole. Trim off any excess JB from the area and reassemble like normal.
I have also used this technique. Instead of silicone, it's one of the many uses for WD40.

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Which loctite?

Post by C-dub » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:05 am

As always, I greatly appreciate all your insight.

FYI, I'm not asking this time about fixing something that is broken, but only to prevent screws/bolts from vibrating and backing out. I'll change my own oil for the first time on my Wing next weekend and will probably also put some PTFE(teflon) tape on as many of the little screws/bolts inside the bags and trunk as I can find and get to without too much difficulty. It's all preventative stuff I'm thinking of getting ready for a 4-5 day trip next month.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
tamathumper
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Which loctite?

Post by tamathumper » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm

I've got a lot of miles on my bike and have never had a screw back out. What's going on that you have screws loosening up?
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Which loctite?

Post by C-dub » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm

tamathumper wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm
I've got a lot of miles on my bike and have never had a screw back out. What's going on that you have screws loosening up?
Don't know. It's only been one so far and not really a screw, but rather a bolt. One of the small ones inside the right saddlebag at the top. It just dropped down and was sitting their one day when I opened the door. The roads around here have some pot holes, but not that many. At least I didn't think so. Its nothing I've checked before, so maybe I just need to check periodically.

Or I can go ahead and put some PTFE tape on all of them. I still don't know exactly what caused the left bag latch to fail last year. My first thought was a couple bolts had backed out and that put too much stress on it and it cracked off, but don't really know for sure. Maybe it cracked from shutting the door too hard and then bolts the came out.

I'm coming up on 22k miles and a couple months past two years. Maybe it's about time for something like this since I've never checked these before.


I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Post Reply